Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gazzo1967
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Is this normal?? 2 Append Text Columns

Hi All
Is this normal behaviour?
I have 2 columns in a Sharepoint List that are append text.

When i use a gallery with this.item it will only return the column with the latest entry
i have this to test on each field 'If(IsBlank(ThisItem.review_detail), "no text return", ThisItem.review_detail)'

So basically even if you have 2 different append columns it will only ever return the newest data

BTW i want to see the last entry for each column

Thanks but confused 😛
Gary

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

That is the typical behavior and its because of the way the SharePoint column is designed to work.  When you set the column to append text it doesn't actually append the text to the field.  It stores the current value as a new version.  When SharePoint displays the field internally it concatenates all the old versions that contain text along with the date.  Power Apps only gets the current version.  I have done something for a client in the past where a flow was called to retrieve all the old versions using HTTP REST Calls to build a value that looks like the one in SharePoint.  But there is nothing built in that will do that for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

That is the typical behavior and its because of the way the SharePoint column is designed to work.  When you set the column to append text it doesn't actually append the text to the field.  It stores the current value as a new version.  When SharePoint displays the field internally it concatenates all the old versions that contain text along with the date.  Power Apps only gets the current version.  I have done something for a client in the past where a flow was called to retrieve all the old versions using HTTP REST Calls to build a value that looks like the one in SharePoint.  But there is nothing built in that will do that for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
gazzo1967
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Pstork1 
Thank you sir that makes sense!
Its not critical so I will amend the Powerapp build.
i was sort of expecting your answer 🙂
regards Gary

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,662)