cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wave
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

IsBlankOrError on PowerApps encountered an internal error

For some reason IsBlankOrError  is not evaluating the obvious error in collection or table and treating it as false. Hover over collection and has PowerApps encountered an internal error all over it but still powerapps is evaluating IsBlankOrError  as false.
The point is not why there is an error in collection it is why is IsBlankOrError not detecting the error. Isn't that what it's for? Why and how to work around this? 

Wave_1-1618360536728.png

Wave_0-1618360441039.png

3 REPLIES 3
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

IsBlank() and by IsBlankOrError() don't work on collections or tables.  IsEmpty() works with a collection or a table.  IsBlank() only works with text values.  So even if the collection or table throws an error it won't evaluate because its looking for an error on a text value.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Wave
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Yes that's what I initially started with but b/c the column is not really empty IsEmpty() evaluates it as not empty even though there is no real data but errors. So how do we work around "PowerApps encountered an internal error" or do we have to say IsEmpty OR  = "PowerApps encountered an internal error"
and then worry about if they change the wording to that as well with new releases.

Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

I'm not sure what type of field Details is, but when I replicate your code using the Title column the use of the field inside the First() function results in a record not text.  Its only when I add Title again to the outside of the function that I get a text result.  As I said, IsBlank() only works with text, not a collection or record.  See if intellisense suggests another property past Details.

First(Gallery_SPT.AllItems.Title) -> results in a record.
First(Gallery_SPT.AllItems.Title).Title -> results in a text value.

So 
If(IsBlankOrError( First(Gallery_SPT.AllItems.Title)),true,false) -> throws error.
If(IsBlankOrError( First(Gallery_SPT.AllItems.Title).Title),true,false) -> works.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Carousel_PP_768x460_Wave2 (1).png

2022 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2022 through March 2023.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,156)