Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

IsEmpty or IsBlank is not working for single line of text field in Powerapps

Hi Reader,

I have single line of text field called "Request Number" in SharePoint list, when an item is created in SharePoint list through Powerapps form I am updating the "Request Number" field in MS Flow/Power Automate with some format (format includes current date, month , year and number example ABC11022099 here ABC is the default text, 11 current date, 02 is the month , 20 is the year and 99 is number (i can say serial number))

Once item is created i am displaying it in Powerapps screen using gallery with condition is do not show item if request number is empty

Filter('ListName', !IsEmpty('Request Number') && Status="Submitted")   but here NOT operation is not working

Filter('ListName', !IsBlank('Request Number') && Status="Submitted")  but here NOT operation is not working

can you please help me on this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: IsEmpty or IsBlank is not working for single line of text field in Powerapps

Hi @Shiva506 ,

Firstly the Not function <>  / isBlank / isEmpty are not a delegable queries, meaning that the maximum number of rows the query will address is 500 standard or 2000 maximum with PowerApps settings increased.

There are always workarounds, one is to have for query run on a collection of less than 2000 records, filtered by something delegable such as a text or numeric field.

The other one in your case would be to always have a default request number such as 0 if numeric or pending if string and filter on that.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: IsEmpty or IsBlank is not working for single line of text field in Powerapps

Hi @Shiva506 ,

Firstly the Not function <>  / isBlank / isEmpty are not a delegable queries, meaning that the maximum number of rows the query will address is 500 standard or 2000 maximum with PowerApps settings increased.

There are always workarounds, one is to have for query run on a collection of less than 2000 records, filtered by something delegable such as a text or numeric field.

The other one in your case would be to always have a default request number such as 0 if numeric or pending if string and filter on that.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

My old formula (which i have mentioned in query)  is working as expected but still its throwing a message that "the NOT operation is not supported for this connector "

@WarrenBelz , Thank you so much for information.

I do have other query which is related Cascading fields/section is not saving the data in SharePoint list 

List1 Name : MasterList (Columns are Location  and Email ID )

Location values are like India, German, Japan etc

Email Ids values are like persons email IDs India may have multiple email id similar way rest of the values

List2 Name :  Requests (Here there are many along with "Requester Location" is a lookup value from Location of Master List  and Requester Email ID is also lookup field value from Email ID of Master List )

In Powerapps form i have these two fields Requester Location and Requester Email ID

When I select Requester Location as India Requester Email ID is displaying with related values only but these two values(Requester Location and Requester Email ID) are not saving in SharePoint (its a database) but rest of the fields or values are saving 

Below is the formula which i have used and no error is showing up

Requester Location -> item -> Distinct(MasterList, Location)

Requester Email ID -> item -> Distinct(Filter(MasterList, Location = Dropdown.Selected.Result), 'Email ID')

Only these two values are not saving but rest of the values are saving in SharePoint list (Database)

Could you please help me on this ? 

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @Shiva506 ,

I assume that your main issue here is that the selected data is not saving to SharePoint.

The formula is not really relevant - you need to check the Update properties of the card in which the drop-down is located.

In your case (I will use the control names you gave - change if not correct, they should be

• 'Requester Location.Selected.Result
  • 'Requester Email ID'.Selected.Result

Put these in a label with the Text set to this - if you see the correct value, the card will update if set to the same.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

I just checked and it was correct 

But if I changed to Location.Selected.Result its throwing error 

Please refer screen shots where i have attached both correct and error 

I have checked values of drop down  data cards by putting in label of text property it showing what i have selected

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @Shiva506 ,

Try DatacardValue280.Selected.’Email ID’

Note that you can see all valid options for a control reference when you type in DataCardValue280.Selected. directly below where you type.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

I do not get any other values other than Result. Even if I select Result its giving me an error 

DataCardValue280.Selected.Result  -  is giving me an error

DataCardValue280.Selected.         - (Here i am getting only Result is value where i am getting automatically)

DataCardValue280.Selected    - is not giving any error message

If i do not use cascading method select direct values from lookup then its getting saved but here it gives a lot of values like below is the example

Under Location drop down - India, India , India, India, India, German, German, German, German, Japan, Japan

Under Email ID drop down -  Person email ID, Person email ID, Person email ID, Person email ID, Person email ID, Person email ID, Person email ID, Person email ID, Person email ID, Person email ID, Person email ID

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

OK @Shiva506 ,

I am running out of ideas, however I was until this point simply dealing with syntax for the outcome rather than looking back at the possible cause.

Firstly, renaming fields are always good - I have assumed from your posts that:-

The Items property of DataCardValue280 is

Distinct(Filter(MasterList, Location = Dropdown.Selected.Result), 'Email ID')

The Items property of DropDown (not a good name for a control) is

Distinct(MasterList, Location)

DataCard280 is will not write back the data to the list

I did a small test using the syntax provided for Datacard280 and I could not get a valid result on this, however if I used

Distinct(Filter(MasterList, Location = Dropdown.Selected.Result).'Email ID', 'Email ID')

I received a valid filtered list.

In addition, the reference property of DataCard280 is definitely 

Datacard280.Selected.Result

and you should be able to use this successfully in the Update properties of the card.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

I am going with work around, assigning values in different column with single line of text and considering that as value storage in database where as dropdown is just for UI

in single line of text -> text -> DataCardValue280.Selected.Result but if i do same formula for original field in update property its throwing an error not sure if its causing data type of field since it is lookup 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,822)