Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WebPortal
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

IsSearchable in Combobox returns back to false

Hello,

I have Combobox working ok.

But now the options are not serchable. And when I click on the "Allow Search" option for the DataCardValue or manually change the "IsSearchable" option to true, it flips right back to false on itself. This happens for both combox and dropdown. And I checked the "Searchable" box when creating those fields.

Is this a trick? Can anyone help?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@WebPortal 

CDS is also based on SQL so the two backend datasources have many common features.  In concept, PowerApps is just a front end. IMHO, it's chief advantages are that it can be used in mobile devices that can have limited storage capacity and it "delegates" the heavy lifting of Searching, Sorting and Filtering to the backend.  The more functions that can be delegated to the datasource the more efficient it can be.  The other advantage is that it doesn't require complicated coding or require knowledge of a programming language to produce the user interface.  

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

Hi @WebPortal 

Two questions: What is your datasource (ie SQL, CDS, SharePoint) and what type of field is it?

WebPortal
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hi @Drrickryp 

It is a SharePoint list and the field is text.

Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

OK, could you share the Items property of your combobox control?

WebPortal
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

With({dt:Sort(MyTable, Title)},
ForAll(
Sequence(CountRows(dt)+1, 0),
If(Value=0, {Description:"<>", ID: Blank()}, Last(FirstN(dt, Value)))
)
)

Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@WebPortal 

To troubleshoot, first check the fields property of your combobox to see if you have the correct field to search.  It that isn't the problem, use Sort(MyTable, Title) as the Items property of the combobox and see if that works.  If it does, then add a condition from your formula until you find the one that messes up the Search property. 

WebPortal
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

@Drrickryp 

Thanks but nothing of that solves the problem.

I think the issue is that in my SharePoint list, the field I'm using is "Entidade".

NOW: PowerApps doens't like that field name. So, in ALL my formulas I have to change that field name to: "Title".

And then ... everything works!

Why the hell PowerApss or SharePoint convert "Entidade" into "Title"?

I have no idea...

Do you know why this is happening?

Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@WebPortal 

SharePoint is quirky.  It was developed years before PowerApps and there are a number of things about it that make it work in SharePoint, but when it is used as a datasource for PowerApps, it creates chaos.  For example, it "remembers" the name of the field when the list was created.  If the name is changed, it becomes the "Display" name but sometimes in PowerApps formulas you have to use the Original field name and I think that when a collection is created, it uses the Display name.  You got me as to why it does that but that is one of the reasons that I don't use it for my own apps and have moved everything to CDS (Dataverse). igor-eye-wobble.gif

@WarrenBelz  has a great blog that talks about the issues that result from using SharePoint and PowerApps.  It is really helpful for anyone using SharePoint.   https://www.practicalpowerapps.com/data/constructing-your-first-power-app-before-you-start/ 

WebPortal
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

@Drrickryp 

Thank you for these insights, they are very helpful to me!

I have been developing stuff with PHP/MySQL and I like the practicality of PowerApps, although it is expensive and erratic.

I'd definitely purchase a Premium License should I have the performance and reliability of PHP/MySQL.

Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@WebPortal 

CDS is also based on SQL so the two backend datasources have many common features.  In concept, PowerApps is just a front end. IMHO, it's chief advantages are that it can be used in mobile devices that can have limited storage capacity and it "delegates" the heavy lifting of Searching, Sorting and Filtering to the backend.  The more functions that can be delegated to the datasource the more efficient it can be.  The other advantage is that it doesn't require complicated coding or require knowledge of a programming language to produce the user interface.  

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,943)