cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Issue at import with a saved excel from online 356 web interface

i believe powerapps using a different / newer excel version.

if me open my excel online then saved it in onedrive i can not refresh (error exclamation) or import get error message.

see screenshot. it said no tables found. its the designer at windows 10.

Ashampoo_Snap_2016.11.29_19h51m54s_003_.png

7 REPLIES 7
Power Apps Staff AndyPennell
Power Apps Staff

Re: Issue at import with a saved excel from online 356 web interface

Does your Excel file actually contain any tables? I dont mean data, I mean actual Excel tables. This is required for PowerApps to read from them.

In Excel 2010 and 2013 (these are the ones I have on my PC) the Insert ribbon has a Table button, which asks you where the data is for your table.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi MarkusR,

As @AndyPennell said, you should format Excel file as a table, or you would get the message “there are no tables found” when you connect to the data source.

This article about “Create an app from Excel data” can be a reference for you:
https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/get-started-create-from-data/
Important: If you decide to use your own Excel file, make sure that the data is formatted as a table.

About how to format an Excel file as a table, please see this article:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-or-delete-an-Excel-table-in-a-worksheet-E81AA349-B00...

Hope these articles can be a reference for you.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi,

i will check your answer soon.

what i had done before,

i used the site inspector template, then i used a trial office 2016 from company ashampoo at home,

i add there some columns, but the save file did not work with powerapps (it said no tables).

then i used the online excel 365 (rent by my company where i work), it looks like excel with my sheets and
saved it in onedrive, powerapps said it have no tables.

Anonymous
Not applicable

hmm its not user-friendly, ok i found format as table , then i got at least Table1 & Table2 but not named with the tab name.

why can't powerapps just using the tab i seeing in excel.

it take awhile until i found the table name too. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

i got it

if me will do a refresh it did not work (error message), at import i got new tables with _1,

so the plan in this case is, remove the current data tables in powerapps, then select the excel via onedrive again.

then i used saved as because app designer need a restart, it gave me a confisung message i shall connect with data

but there was everything fine. after restart my app looks ok.

experience, better use the ms excel, not a tool that "can" also write excel ... it may looks equal in edit window but its not the same.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi MarkusR,

After you formatted the Excel file as a table, you could name the table, then you could get the table you want by its table name.

About how to name a table, I have seen an article, hope this can be a reference for you:
https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/tutorial-working-with-images-in-excel/

how to name a table.PNG

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks.

my intension was get this excel file what lost my table format because third party editor (planmaker 2016), back in my app.

instead of saying "there is no table" this powerapps designer can also interpret the sheets as a table, or not?

it take a while until i know how to add a table format and found the name field.

(i found infos in english but my gui was german and the name field is only visible at select something)

is the powerapp designer, my table refresh did not work. (me hat add just 3 columns in a sheet and removed 1)

so my first trick i try inside powerapps designer,

renaming the old tables as _old and the _1 from new import as the name i used before.

because i did not found a rename in this powerapp designer i removed my 2 tabled and import my tables again.

then a messaage appear in screen i should assing a datasource, this disappear after i restart app design. (little bug?)

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,240)