Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GreenJaguar
Resolver I
Resolver I

Issues sharing with a teams group

Good day

I have created a canvas app.  It uses a SharePoint List that is housed on a SharePoint Site that corresponds to a Microsoft Teams Team.  When select to share the app with Teams as Tab, it nicely appears there.

When I go to the Share app in make.powerapps.com, I cannot pull the team to grant group access, which is a more practical approach than to add each member of the team (95 of them so far) individually.

I have done this before, but I notice that pulling GRP-xxxxx from Teams sites is a hit or miss situation.

Any ideas?

PS It would make sense to me that Microsoft would build into the sharing to teams back end process a way to automatically pull access permissions, or build permissions assignment in the sharing wizard sequence when sharing to Teams.

2 REPLIES 2
RusselThomas
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @GreenJaguar ,

This has been a bit of a pain for years - but mainly because the difference between AD Security Groups and distribution lists, Office Groups or 'just groups of people' which Teams membership is based on, cannot easily be resolved. 

Nevertheless, it seems a little ridiculous that SharePoint permissions for a team can reference "Team Members", but PowerApps can't 🙄- hopefully we'll see this change someday...

In the meantime, you can get around the initial pain of adding 95 Teams members to an App by building a reusable 'admin' app for yourself that uses the Teams connector and the App Makers connector - you can then build simple screens to select a Team then 'batch'-add all Team members to your app using the maker connector. (Ok, to be picky its still one-by-one, but one-by-one automatically still beats one-by-one manually any day).

This obviously doesn't keep the data in sync as this is a 1-time manual operation - so you can also look at Power Automate to do something similar whenever a new team member is added to a team (although not sure what the status on a trigger for member removal is) - and so on.

Hope this helps somewhat,

RT

GreenJaguar
Resolver I
Resolver I

@RusselThomas What is frustrating is that This actually works for some Microsoft Teams but not for others.  I did use it for one of my classes this summer with no issues.  The nice thing is that I can manage access by adding or deleting people to a team and this automatically manages access to the app and to the corresponding Sharepoint list.

But there is no rhyme or reason, that is apparent to me at least, as to which MS Teams this works for, and which it does not in other cases.  

At the end of the day, if we want to drive adoption at the institution level, one by one, or even the batch does not do it.

It seems like we are left with granting general access at the app level, and clamping down at the data level. 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,011)