cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Javascript create record with lookup in Model Driven app

Hello,

I'm building a model driven app and want to create an associated record in a different table when a button is clicked in a form. 

I have the button in the form working. My Javascript gets called and I can create a record in another table. Where I come unstuck is attempting to add the lookup field in the new record back to this existing record. I've attempted to do so via an odata bind, but I suspect I've messed this up. 

Some background info:

-My current form is in table cr2d2_projectlist. The primary field in this table is cr2d2_projectname. The GUID for the record is 9EA72A21-4DC0-EB11-BACC-002248151FC1.

-The table I'm adding the record to is cr2d2_projectapprovals. The primary field in this table is cr2d2_name. The field that is a lookup back to the project list is cr2d2_associatedproject.

Here is the JS, commented out so I could post this.

//  try {

//    var entityName = "cr2d2_projectapprovals"; //Set the table name

//    //setup the JSON for creating the new record. It works if the second field isn't in the JSON

//    var data = {

//      "cr2d2_name": "Some name",

//      "cr2d2_associatedproject@odata.bind": "/cr2d2_projectlist(9EA72A21-4DC0-EB11-BACC-002248151FC1)" }
//    Xrm.WebApi.createRecord(entityName, data).then(
//      function success(result) { Xrm.Utility.alertDialog("Success"); },
//      function (error) { Xrm.Utility.alertDialog("Error: "+error.message); }
//    );
//  }
//   catch (e) { Xrm.Utility.alertDialog(e.message); }
//  }

I presume it is something basic. I keep getting odata errors back, I've tried several format options for getting the related field data in but am unsure how to proceed. Any ideas?

Damian.

3 REPLIES 3
Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@Anonymous 

Your Main Table is Project List and this entity has a 1: N Relation with another Table Project Approvals.

From Project List you want to add a new Project Approval is this correct?

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Blog: here
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I want to add a record in my Project Approvals Table. There is a field in the Project Approvals table called "Associated Project", which is a lookup Field back to the Project List table. The "Associated Project" field is the one I am struggling to populate.

Regards,

Damian.

Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@Anonymous 

I have simulated your structure at my side and I would like to suggest a simpler approach to achieve what you want.

On your Project List Form ; Add a new Component Sub Grid and Select Project approvals -> Save and Publish Your form and then you can Add Project Approvals as below:

Mira_Ghaly_0-1622368703196.png

Let me know if this idea works for you or Not , but the idea is to make use of the out of the box functionality as much as possible!

IF you want the Javascript

//      "cr2d2_associatedproject@odata.bind": "/cr2d2_projectlist(9EA72A21-4DC0-EB11-BACC-002248151FC1)" }

Replace with.. 

"cr2d2_AssociatedProject@odata.bind": "/cr2d2_projectlist(9EA72A21-4DC0-EB11-BACC-002248151FC1)" }

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Blog: here

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Apps Ideas

Check out the New Ideas Site

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,349)