cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsilk
Frequent Visitor

Keeping a log of SharePoint list choice selections in a multiline text field

Hello- I'm trying to keep a log/record of the changes made to a specific 'Choice' column type in a SharePoint list via the form and copy the change into a 'Multi-line text' column within the same list. For example: 

Record1 is set to 'blank' as the choice by default (nothing is tracked right now in the multi-line col)

User1 goes to Record1 and changes the choice from 'blank' to 'status1' and saves the record (since the user selected/changed the choice, the multi-line col now shows something like: "User1 date/time: Choice changed to 'status1'"

Any thoughts or ideas on how to best do this, without too much coding in PowerApps?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
rsaikrishna
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@jsilk 

I recommend enabling Versioning on the list, which will address the requirements with no effort. But, to check all the changes, you need to click item's Version History.

If you want to see all the changes in a column and if your SP list form is not customized, then you can write a simple Power Automate to update the multiline text field with everytime it changes.

If your SP list form is customized with Power App, then On Success property of form in the Power App, you can write Patch function to set mutiline text field value. 

I hope the above steps will help you.

Regards

Krishna Rachakonda

If this reply helped you to solve the issue, please mark the post as Accepted SolutionMarking this post as Accepted Solution, will help many other users to use this post to solve same or similar issue without re-posting the issue in the group. Saves a lot of time for everyone.

jsilk
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the response. I do have versioning turned on and I do have a custom form built with PowerApps. I'm stuck on what code/formula needs to be used to capture the changes made to the status/choice box with Patch. The goal is to have a separate column that tracks the changes made to that field specifically. I'm a newby so any guidance/advice will go a long way. Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,954)