cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Large List Error: The query cannot be completed because the number of lookup columns exceeds...

I have a large list and desire to use Power Apps (Customize Forms) for the data entry.   I created my form and saved. When I go to my SharePoint list, it fails to open the form and returns this error: The query cannot be completed because the number of lookup columns exceeds...

Over in Power Automate, I've seen this message before. There is a simple work around. Set the list to only pull in a limited number of columns via a view. 

Does Power Apps have some sort of filter that I can apply to restrict the fields so that I don't get the same error/message? Note, in my view that I am using, I only have about 10 fields displayed, so it must be trying to load all fields... 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

@Portland 

Agreed, limit is 12. Question still remains, is there a way to filter the list on load like you can in Power Automate?

No, there is not.  Indexing a column has no impact.  You must use a list that does not break this condition.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Portland 

You may only have a maximum of 12 lookup columns in your SharePoint list.  That is likely the reason for your error.  Here's a old thread I found by searching your error message on Google.

Link to old forum post:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Max-Lookup-Columns/td-p/331862

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Highlighted

Agreed, limit is 12. Question still remains, is there a way to filter the list on load like you can in Power Automate?

I am trying to index a number of columns now. Will see if that has any impact...

Highlighted

@Portland 

No, there is not.  Indexing a column has no impact.  You must use a list that does not break this condition.

---

View solution in original post

Highlighted

That's unfortunate.  Appreciate the update.

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

@Portland Sorry your request could not be fulfilled in this case due to limitations.
If you'd like, you can post your request on IDEAS. Submissions are welcome.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,055)