Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dallenap
Advocate I
Advocate I

Launch Canvas App from Model Driven App

Hi,

I'm aware of embedding canvas apps in a model-driven form.  However, is it possible to launch a canvas app from a form in a model-driven app in a separate window with an identifier?  Similar to modeldrivenformintegration for embedded apps but launching a canvas app external to the model-driven app?

Users would like the functionality of an embedded canvas app to perform actions pertaining to a record.  However, they would like to have the canvas app in a separate window so they can view the source record data in the model-driven app while working in the canvas app concurrently.

Any thoughts on how to satisfy their requirements would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eelman
Super User
Super User

@dallenap 

Have you looked at / tried Deep Linking? This Shane Young video shows you how to use it. You use variables and parameters to link to records and open the other app. The Launch function will do this.

Apologies for the link but there's no need to re-invent the process details here, however, of you get stuck I can help you with some of the finer parts.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Eelman
Super User
Super User

@dallenap 

Have you looked at / tried Deep Linking? This Shane Young video shows you how to use it. You use variables and parameters to link to records and open the other app. The Launch function will do this.

Apologies for the link but there's no need to re-invent the process details here, however, of you get stuck I can help you with some of the finer parts.

View solution in original post

@Eelman 

Thanks for the tip.  I think this will work just fine.  

One thing I found, though, is that when previewing the functionality in the Studio, the Launch function will open the target app in the studio as well.  If I run the app outside of the studio everything works as it should.  Any ideas on that one?

Thanks,

Dan

@dallenap 

Im not sure what issue you are facing, sorry. Are you saying that during development ... in the Studio ... the app/s act different to when used in a browser by your users? You do see the expected outcomes in the Studio but your users do? Is that what you are saying?

If so, I'm not sure I can help further, sorry.

@Eelman 

Yes, that's what I'm saying.  The users see the expected behavior but I do not when attempting to preview the behavior in the Studio.

Weird.

Thanks for the help, though.

Dan

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (32,047)