cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

Launching .docx from Power App crashes OneDrive

I have a template .docx that is populated in each DocSet created in SharePoint. The document contains a couple content controls (date pickers and check boxes). From my PowerApp app, I used the "ms-word:ofe|u|" and the document's link to successfully open the copied documents in the Word Desktop App, no problem there.

The issue is, after a short time, suddenly every copy of that template file freezes or even crashes OneDrive with a merge issue. The merge is repairable, but every time you open that Word document, it's gonna freeze/crash OneDrive again.

I found removing the "ms-word:ofe|u|"  from the launch was the fix (work around). You can open that same hanging-up Word document in the browser app, and then in the Desktop App from the browser app and everything works 100%. However, that extra step of opening the browser version to then open the Desktop App is not gonna fly.

Any thoughts on why the "ms-word:ofe|u|" is causing the document to hand up in OneDrive? Any other methods of opening the Word Desktop App? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cooneyr ,

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I have made a test on my side, and don't have the issue that you mentioned.

If you want to launch a word desktop from your canvas app, I think the following formula could achieve your needs:

Launch("ms-word:ofe|u|" & "Link to Doc")

I have made a test on my side, the screenshot as below:

10.JPG

I add a Gallery in my app, and connect it to my SP Library. Add a "Document" Icon in your Gallery, set the OnSelect property to following:

Launch("ms-word:ofe|u|" & First(Split(ThisItem.'Link to item',"?")).Result)

Note: I store many doc files in my SP Library the above Gallery connects to. In addition, please make sure the link you attached within the Launch function should be end with .doc or .docx. e.g. https://xxxxxx.sharepoint.com/sites/PowerApps/MyLibrary1/FY19%20Q1-Self-evaluation.docx

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cooneyr ,

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I have made a test on my side, and don't have the issue that you mentioned.

If you want to launch a word desktop from your canvas app, I think the following formula could achieve your needs:

Launch("ms-word:ofe|u|" & "Link to Doc")

I have made a test on my side, the screenshot as below:

10.JPG

I add a Gallery in my app, and connect it to my SP Library. Add a "Document" Icon in your Gallery, set the OnSelect property to following:

Launch("ms-word:ofe|u|" & First(Split(ThisItem.'Link to item',"?")).Result)

Note: I store many doc files in my SP Library the above Gallery connects to. In addition, please make sure the link you attached within the Launch function should be end with .doc or .docx. e.g. https://xxxxxx.sharepoint.com/sites/PowerApps/MyLibrary1/FY19%20Q1-Self-evaluation.docx

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

v-xida-msft

I accepted your solution, but I'm not 100% clear on if it was the fix or not. I connected to a new library and suddenly the issue wasn't occurring anymore. I tried to make it crash but it didn't. So then I also implemented your parsing function just as an additional step to keep this from happening again. Thank you for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (44,657)