cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Leave Request and Excel

Good day,

I am very new to PowerApps like most people that post here. I foudn the LeaveRequest app it is perfect for our small company. I have spent some time now working out all the kinks and changed it to suit out needs and our holidays. (South Africa) .

The only issue I have is the info not saving to the provided Excel sheet and or Sharepoint List that I created. 

There are a couple of posts on here already with people having the same problem but I just cant get it working. 

According to the posts, I need to change the Confirmation Screen - Patch line. THis is the one I currently have after changing: 

(Leave being the name of my sharepoint list and yes, it is linked as a data source)

Patch(Leave, If(_editingRequest, LookUp(Leave, LeaveID = GalleryRequests.Selected.LeaveID), Defaults(Leave)),
{
Title: First(RequestEdit).Title,
Detail: First(RequestEdit).Detail,
StartDate: First(RequestEdit).StartDate,
EndDate: First(RequestEdit).EndDate,
LeaveType: First(RequestEdit).LeaveType,
Approver: First(RequestEdit).Approver,
Requester: First(RequestEdit).Requester,
LeaveID: GalleryRequests.Selected.LeaveID

}
),

The above changes dont seem to work. I get the follow error (see attachment)

Please can some show me exactly how my code should look to use the EXCEL sheet provider or alternatively to use the SP list. 

THanks

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Leave Request and Excel

@PhillipPearce 

So, the very first obvious thing that I see is that you end your Patch with a comma.  That should be removed.  But, I believe that perhaps was just a typo?

Next question (if that's not the problem), are you using Excel or SharePoint?  If you've converted over to SharePoint, then what are the definitions of the Columns in your list?  You need to make sure that you are putting the proper data types into the corresponding columns in your patch.  And, if you've created some of those columns as complex types (person column, lookup column, choice column, etc.) then there are other provisions that need to be made in your Patch statement.

Take a look over that and see if that leads to any revelations. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Highlighted

Hi Randy, 

thanks so much for the response. 

Ok, after I posted, I decided to start fresh again. I deleted the app and data and started from the top. 

Currently, I am using the default Excel sheet that the app provides. I then figured out how to link the App to the excel sheet instead of using the built in Collection. 

THe problem I am currently struggling with is sometimes it works (saving into the excel file) and other times - Like now, it doesnt want to. The App funtions with out any errors.

So on the ConfirmationScreen - OnVisible, I have this:

If(_editingRequest,
//if editing a request, revise the record that is being edited
Concurrent(
Patch(Leave, GalleryRequests.Selected,
{

Leave being the Tab inside the sheet. 

earlier, I went alll in and found all LeaveCollections and replaced them with the Leave, now I cant remeber where they all are so its difficult. Is there a "replace" funtion that I dont know of maybe lol? 

You can see in the attachments that there are no known errors in the code anymore. 

Thanks again

Highlighted

Hi, ok I fixed the Excel link and it is saving the data. 

Now i need to get the balance sheet to work 😞

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@PhillipPearce 

So it sounds like you are making progress.  Just post back if you get stuck again.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,885)