cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oskarkuus
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Leaving organisation - owner vs co-owner - what will happen when owner is deleted?

I am leaving my current organisation and my account will be deleted.

I have several apps that started from my account and then more co-owners got added.

For example we have an app that is used daily by hundreds of users.

I am set as "owner".

But the app also have 3 other co-owners.

Will the app work and all be well and good when my account is deleted when i leave?

Will the app have any issues of not having a owner, only co-owners?

EDIT2:

Also found this post: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Who-owns-an-app-account-co-owners-tenant/td-...

Oskarkuus_0-1634377740899.png

I really want to avoid having to use powershell to change owner.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/powerapps-powershell#set-logged-in-user-as-the...
I leave that to my organization to solve when i am gone. I just want to make sure the apps that i have built wont just be deleted after they delete my account.

EDIT: I found this thread: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Does-account-deletion-cause-app-deletion/td-...

Where this is said:

I believe the default behavior is: 

• If user has NOT shared an app with anyone else, the the app is deleted when the users PowerApps account is deleted
  • If user HAS shared an app and account is deleted, one of the people the app has been shared with will automatically become the owner
    • I'm not sure of the logic behind this. aka: Who is the chosen one?

So this makes me feel safer if it is true.

All my apps where my account is owner, do have co-owners.

1 REPLY 1
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Oskarkuus ,

For Apps, the only thing that is restricted is that you cannot delete the app unless the owner is changed (I believe that this can be done in PowerShell, but have never done it). It is much easier for the new owner to use "Save As" and change the owner on the new copy. All co-owners can edit the app.

For a Flow however there are some things to watch. If the Flow is triggered from Power Apps, the same as above applies (as the connection is the one of the user), but saving a copy will mean re-connecting the new one. If the Flow is triggered by something else, you have a problem as it will break the moment your account is deleted. It is  however not a big job for a user the Flow is shared with to edit it and change all the connections.

All of my apps and flows are owned by a service account for this reason - when I leave, I simply relay a password and user name.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,835)