cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HylkeWolfkamp
Regular Visitor

Licences powerapps / CDS / datadrive

Hello,

I'm in a non-profit organization and we have a Office 365 E1 plan.
Now i'm trying to develop a powerapp combined with a common data service.
Everything went well until i wanted to add the powerapp to my Teams. I got the next message:

"This app uses features that come with a Power Apps premium plan. Start a trial to use these features."

I have activated the common database service AND the powerapps license on my account, what am i doing wrong?
I did read something about a special powerapp license per user, is it included in a non-profit organization?

If not, are there alternatives for a comman database service?
I'm creating some kind of newsroom where people can add news stories(i'm volunteering for a small local news organization).

Thanks already!

Kind regards,
Hylke Wolfkamp

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

The Common Data Service (Now called Dataverse) is a premium function which requires either a per app or per user license.  The Office 365 Power Apps license doesn't include access to the premium connectors.  You have three options.

1. Redesign your app to use a standard license data source like SharePoint
  2. Buy Premium licensing for all the users who use the app
  3. Build and deploy the App inside Microsoft Teams.  Dataverse for Teams is a subset of regular CDS that is included in the Teams licensing.  Teams is also included in your Office 365 E1 license.

Per App licensing covers one user for up to two related apps.  Per user licensing covers one user for an unlimited number of Apps.  Retail pricing is $10 and $40 per month respectively.  But you should be able to get a much deeper discount on those as a non-profit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

The Common Data Service (Now called Dataverse) is a premium function which requires either a per app or per user license.  The Office 365 Power Apps license doesn't include access to the premium connectors.  You have three options.

1. Redesign your app to use a standard license data source like SharePoint
  2. Buy Premium licensing for all the users who use the app
  3. Build and deploy the App inside Microsoft Teams.  Dataverse for Teams is a subset of regular CDS that is included in the Teams licensing.  Teams is also included in your Office 365 E1 license.

Per App licensing covers one user for up to two related apps.  Per user licensing covers one user for an unlimited number of Apps.  Retail pricing is $10 and $40 per month respectively.  But you should be able to get a much deeper discount on those as a non-profit.

View solution in original post

Thanks for the quick reply!

It's kinda confusing how the licensing systems work for powerapps and cds but it just isn't possible in the E1 plan.
I think your third option will really help me out! I will try that. Thank you.

The confusion is that the CDS license you see in Office 365 isn't a license to use CDS for other things.  Otherwise, its clearly stated in the documentation that CDS is a premium connector for Power Apps and not covered by the Office 365 license.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,318)