cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrianHFASPS
Level 8

License to create a portal?

I am trying to understand what licensing I need to create a portal first of all and then to be able to share the portal with either internal or external (public) users. I am able to create canvas apps but when I try to make a portal I get this message?

Portal Database.png

In looking at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/powerapps-flow-licensing-faq I think I should be able to create a portal. Also is there no option for unauthenticated use of portal? I work at a school and would like to build a form to link to other apps for parents. They can't authenticate.

6 REPLIES 6
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: License to create a portal?

What license do you have?  It looks like your environment does not have a CDS database, which is a requirement for creating a Portal.  But If the database exists in your environment then creating a Portal doesn't require any specific licensing, although there is an optional setting that can reserve creation for Admin users only.  It appears your default environment doesn't have a database and you don't have permission to create a new environment.  Contact your Powerapps administrators (probably your Office 365 global admins to get a CDS database created.)

Licensing comes in when you want to use the portal. To consume a portal as an internal user you need either a per App, per User, or Dynamics 365 PowerApps license.  For external users there is a Per Login license that provides capacity for external users.  Anonymous access licensing is also based on capacity, but that is based on page views, not logins.  Licensing is covered in the Portals section of this FAQ.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/powerapps-flow-licensing-faq#portals

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
BrianHFASPS
Level 8

I am the global admin so that isn't an issue. Maybe I am misunderstanding what is being referenced here as "database" vs what I thought was a connection? I have an Azure SQL DB as a connection that I use for all my other apps. Can I use that for portals? I have a Office 365 PowerApps license. I now see the Add-on section and anonymous page views. I need like 200 a month not 100,000 but oh well.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

The database being referred to is the Common Data Services database (CDS).  You can't use Azure SQL for the portal itself, although you should be able to leverage connections to that for the apps on the portal.  

Although you can make a Portal with the Office 365 "seeded" license internal users will need either a perApp or perUser license to be able to use the portal.

BrianHFASPS
Level 8

Wait the portal can't talk to Azure SQL it has to use some other CDS database? That seems odd. Is there a free CDS database? It also says I need an environment, don't I have one already?

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

I didn't say that.  The infrastructure for the portal is built using CDS, so it requires CDS.  The pages and the apps can use a variety of data sources.  But to build a portal you have to have CDS.  There is no free version of CDS.  The reason its offering to let you build another environment is that when you provision an environment you get a choice of whether to provision CDS or not.  Your current environment was built without CDS, so its either add CDS to that environment or build a new one that has CDS.

BrianHFASPS
Level 8

Ok, so I can make a portal for free with my existing license except I can't create a portal without CDS. I can't create CDS though with my license since they are all premium. That means I can't really create a portal with my existing license? I just want to understand what a portal can and can't do but I can't even begin without buying CDS (which I don't want) to begin with? How can I add CDS to my existing environment? I don't want two environments if I don't have to.

I just wanted to see if I could use portals to make a web front end for anonymous users to enter data into my existing Apps / SQL built out stuff. Is it not for that?

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

'New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,445)