cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alanw707

Licenses requirement for On-premises data gateway

Hi,

I am trying to use on-prem data gateway with in PowerApps via O365 E1 license and got the following error "

Your license(s) doesn’t support use of gateways. To use this feature, start a trial." What license do I need to use this feature?

19 REPLIES 19
v-micsh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

Yes, it is not available.

"

On-premises connectivity is not available for Office 365 Business, Office 365 Enterprise E1 or Office 365 F1 SKUs.

"

Basically you would require PowerApps for Office 365, or PowerApps plan 1, Plan 2, as listed in the pricing page:

PowerApps pricing

For the detailed PowerApps license information, see:

Licensing overview

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am getting the same error, however, in my case, while my account is licensed for O365 via E1, I also have a PowerApps Plan 2 license applied to the account as well.  Could the error be complaining about another account?  I'm not the one that originally set up the gateway.

Hello,

I ran into the same issue.  I reviewed the licensing info you linked to, and would like confirmation.

From what I gather users of a PowerApp app require Plan 1, while developers require Plan 2. 

Do any of the E plans include an equavalent to PowerApps 1 or 2 Plans?

i.e. does E5 include Plan 2 and therefore allow a developer to use an On-Premise gateway?

Or is it that if you have an E1,E3 or E5 license you still need a PowerApps Plan to use/develop an On-Premise gateway?

I've signed up for trial PowerApps Plan 2, so for now I can access the SQL server via the gateway, so I know it does work with Plan 2, just want to know what my options are once that trial expires.

Thanks,

DaveM
Advocate I
Advocate I

I'm not seeing any errors because I am on an E3 plan, but I have some users who are on 365 Business plans who are being sent to a trial page when they open my App.  Would this be because I am using an On-premises data gateway in this App?

PowerApps Trial.jpg

Starting yesterday all of our users started getting prompts to sign up for the PowerApps trial.  Even though these users all have E3 licenses and the apps are Canvas apps that do leverage on prem SqlServer access. 

I'm not understanding why we're getting prompted for the trial?  Am I misreading the licensing documentation?  Or has anyone seen a tool that analyzes what 'premium features' you're using?

Yes - I'm with @jnickell!!!

My staff and I all have E3 licenses.  I have been able to confirm that we are prompted for a trial if we open any canvas app with an on-premise SQL Server connection. 

I really need to know what's going on so that I can make a decision - we can't use any of the apps that we've developed!  Am I going to have to scrape together an additional $40/user for a Plan 2 license on top of my E3 license costs?

@v-micsh-msft  - 

Can you confirm for @jnickell and I - 

Should a Office 365 Business E3 License be able to use Powerapss Canvas Apps with On-Premise data connections?

To my understanding now -

On-Premise Gateway connections are Premium and not included as part of the Office 365 E3 (or other) plans as the PowerApps plan included with that is specific to Office 365.  You need P1 or P2 to use the premium connection.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-Retirement-Blog/UPDATED-Updates-to-Microsoft-Flow-and-...

All Apps with the Premium connection and no license will prompt users to sign up for a Trial.

Bites!! Smiley Mad

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

@NEPatton @jnickell 

If you use the PowerApps with an On Premise Gateway to connect to say a SQL database you need a PowerApps Plan 1 license for each user using the app.  E3 Licenses don't include PowerApps 1 or 2 plans.

The following is from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/pricing-billing-skus

-------

PowerApps standalone Plan 1 and Plan 2

Standalone PowerApps plans provide users the ability to create and run apps across data sources that extend beyond Office 365, such as Salesforce, on-premises and custom data sources. These plans also include access to the Common Data Service for Apps to store and manage data. Learn more about the Common Data Service for Apps here.

• Microsoft PowerApps Plan 1 subscriptions are for users who need to run canvas apps and access on-premises data, data in custom applications and cloud services using premium connectors.
  • Microsoft PowerApps Plan 2 subscriptions are for users and administrators who need access to more capabilities. These users can run model-driven apps that can include custom code plug-ins and real-time workflows. These users have access to important management capabilities like viewing usage and setting policy.

-------

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call? Check out the recording here!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (26,690)