Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Licensing PowerApps for generic Tablets

Hello,

I created an app for a warehouse application (Scan and Pack) and would like to implement it using android tablets.

The problem I`m having is that in this warehouse we have a lot of people being assigned a lot of different tasks on a daily basis. Therefore it is impossible to assign a office license to each individual possible user of this app.

It would also be far too complicated to have them log on and off each time.

My idea was to just create a generic user and assign a E1 license but our IT department declined my license order because of microsofts licensing agreement.

Is there any device specific license I could use for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Re: Licensing PowerApps for generic Tablets

Your warehouse scenario hits multiplicity rules which explicitly do not allow unlicensed employees to perform tasks for which a license is required. The same rules are even applied to power app portals, employee portal access requires an appropriate power apps per user license.

In a previous job I had a request for an HR support system where people would mail a mailbox and cases would be created for HR to handle. In that case the automated creation of the case meant that in MS's eyes all employees would need a full license for Dynamics 365 Customer Service because they could create cases.

---
If this post has answered your question please consider it for "Accept as Solution" or if it has been helpful give it a "Thumbs Up".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

There is no device license for Power Apps.  I believe MS is working on some kind of licensing solution for KIOSK devices like the ones in your scenario. But right now the pattern I've seen used is to have an owner assigned to each device.  They would be the one to log in to the device and then hand it to others to use.  This pattern is in use for reception desks where visitors sign in through a Power App (the receptionist is the licensed user). But I'm not sure it would apply in your case since the licensed owner wouldn't be with the device.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

This would not be a problem since we could just assign a licence to a random employee whos working in the warehouse. The problem I see is that from my understanding, microsoft prohibits the use of the office apps by anyone who is not licensed (MS Product Terms 3.2.1). Therefore I could not even let my unlicensed coworker use my computer to write a document in MS Word. Correct me if Im wrong though and thank you very much for your time helping me find a solution!

Highlighted
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Your warehouse scenario hits multiplicity rules which explicitly do not allow unlicensed employees to perform tasks for which a license is required. The same rules are even applied to power app portals, employee portal access requires an appropriate power apps per user license.

In a previous job I had a request for an HR support system where people would mail a mailbox and cases would be created for HR to handle. In that case the automated creation of the case meant that in MS's eyes all employees would need a full license for Dynamics 365 Customer Service because they could create cases.

---
If this post has answered your question please consider it for "Accept as Solution" or if it has been helpful give it a "Thumbs Up".

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Perfect, so I have the option of either buying a license for each user in the warehouse including a tablet because they will not log off PowerApps anyway or breaking microsofts license agreement ...

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

From a legal point of view that is probably the reality of the situation at this point in time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,642)