cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sasigouru
Advocate I
Advocate I

Licensing-is Microsoft making it mandatory to have premium license for all users to use premium connectors?

Hello,

My question is to the experts on licensing or the community support leads.

During our last internal governance meeting, I was informed that from May 2022 all users(app makers+end users) will require a premium license if the power app or the flow contains any premium connectors? Can anyone have more details around this? I looked around official Microsoft licensing page and guides, but it’s comprehensive and confusing?

In my case, some of our production apps & flows and many in the pipeline use SQL connector to get the master data and pass it on to the flow or app. Sometimes It’s a simple text box performing a search function or sometimes a flow executing a complex stored procedure or power query. The results will be passed on to the app or the rest of branches of flow to perform different actions. Later, we use SP lists for all other data needs. We generally don’t anything back to SQL. So, this is a key step for an app or flow’s survival.

Halfway through the development, SQL joined the premium connectors club, but we continued to use as the warning prompt mentioned the end users require at least P1 license to use the app/flow when a premium connector is involved. Fortunately, our company providers E3 license to all our end users which covers the P1. Once Microsoft starts charging, the assumption is only makers would need to be on a P2 license in order to build apps or flows. Is this not the case anymore? If it isn’t then how can it be justified to pay premium licenses for a large volume vs investing the same or less in professional software development? From the little I’ve known, power platform is supposed to be low code and low cost model to build and deploy business apps rapidly.

If this becomes a reality then a lot of things in our pipeline would fall off as the business won’t have appetite to go out in the market for every business need. If anyone have any information regarding this, please share. It will help us decide to stick to the platform or ditch all the efforts.

Thanks in advance!!

sasi

3 REPLIES 3
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

A per user or per app license has always been required for all users using a Power app with a premium connector.  The one exception is, as you mentioned, SQL.  SQL and Azure became Premium on October 1, 2019.  But existing SQL apps were given an extension to work with a standard license for 5 years.  That would be through October 1, 2024.  User's who had the old Plan 1 or Plan 2 license were also grandfathered in until their purchase agreements expired. I suspect this is your situation since its the only thing that would apply a date like May, 2022.  Plan 1 and Plan 2 were also premium licenses but they have been phased out and will need to be replaced when they expire.  Here's the licensing FAQ it or the license guide it refers to should have all the answers to your questions.

Power Apps and Power Automate licensing FAQs - Power Platform | Microsoft Docs

Bottom line is that for new development using SQL you need a premium license now.  Existing development should be ok until October, 2024. If you have expiring P1 or P2 licenses then the same also applies, but you would need new licenses for anything else that was premium and was covered by those licenses.

Also, an Office E3 does not cover a P1 and doesn't provide support for any premium connectors.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

thank you for your response. I was made aware about the SQL connector being premium, but was hoping an app maker premium license would suffice. Our master data storage is in SQL databases. We can’t move them anywhere else. Only workaround that comes to be mind now is to get one premium license and add actions in the flows where SQL is being used to copy on to SharePoint lists. Then change the data sources in the app from SQL to SP. I know this will be duplicating the data and wasting the resources, but we are too far into with some of our developments. But, there will be questions raised what if one day Microsoft makes SP too a premium connector or more users take this path and it overloads the SP space etc., If this can’t get past approval stage then we’ll have to wrap shop and move on to another platform or invest in professional development.

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

There are never guarantees, but its very unlikely that MS will ever make SharePoint a premium data source.  But since there is no such thing as a Maker license your workaround is probably your best approach.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,015)