Helper I
Helper I

Limiting field options based on other attributes

I want to create a table which reflects the organisational structure :

• Business Name (ie Contoso PLC)
  • Division (ie Group Services)
  • Sector (ie IT)
  • Account (ie Helpdesk)

However I need to limit the options of each subsequent field based on the selection above. For Example someone selecting Contoso PLC would only see the divisions associated with that company, sectors associated with that company, accounts associated with that division.

Does that make sense?

1 REPLY 1
BCLS776
Super User
Super User

Instead of creating a single table and attempting to capture these relationships, consider four tables:

• Businesses
  • Divisions
  • Sectors
  • Accounts

Then, use functions such as LookUp(), Filter(), and/or Search() in your app to bring up the related values from another table. For example, presuming Businesses have one or more Divisions, you can use a Filter() on the Divisions table to bring up only the records that reference a particular business name. This is done by ensuring there is a common column between the two tables, probably the business name in this case.

This helps make relationships between data easier to explore/exploit and keeps your tables to a reasonable number of columns.

Hope that helps,

Bryan

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Help the community help more users by choosing to "Accept as Solution" if this post met your needs. If you liked the post and want to show some appreciation, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,765)