cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Limiting number of tables when creating a database connection

Hello,

I have been able to connect to our database using a connection and an On-premises data gateway.  The issue I'm having is that the data set/tables list contains many/too many tables.  

When at the bottom of the list, the table I was looking for was still not displayed.  But the last entry was "Enter custom table name".  Here I was able to specify the table I was looking for and the connection succeeded.  But I had to scroll to the end of the list before being able to enter this.  Before the end of the list I could see no way to specify a specific table.  I also tried searching for the table name in the search box but the search did not turn up the name.

I would think other large databases such as SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, etc. may have this issue.  

Is there any way to limit the tables that appear in the list of tables?

Thanks,

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Limiting number of tables when creating a database connection

Hi Rob,

As far as I know, there is unfortunatly no way to limit the tables that appear in the connections list. In theory, the search box should carry out a contains search on the table name so I'm not sure why that doesn't work.

Out of interest, how many tables do you have in your database? In the past, there was a limitation in the connections pane. It would show only a maximum of around 1600 tables, and this would cause problems with some databases, particularly Dynamics databases with many tables. As you've discovered, the "Enter custom table name" now solves that problem.

I would suggest that you raise this idea in the ideas forum. If enough people vote for it, Microsoft will hopefully add this as a new feature.
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas  

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Limiting number of tables when creating a database connection

Hi Rob,

As far as I know, there is unfortunatly no way to limit the tables that appear in the connections list. In theory, the search box should carry out a contains search on the table name so I'm not sure why that doesn't work.

Out of interest, how many tables do you have in your database? In the past, there was a limitation in the connections pane. It would show only a maximum of around 1600 tables, and this would cause problems with some databases, particularly Dynamics databases with many tables. As you've discovered, the "Enter custom table name" now solves that problem.

I would suggest that you raise this idea in the ideas forum. If enough people vote for it, Microsoft will hopefully add this as a new feature.
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas  

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Robotic Process Automation

Let's talk about the solution provided by Microsoft for Robotic Process Automation (RPA)

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,575)