Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
insights360
Helper I
Helper I

Linking two columns from Sharepoint

Hi,

I'm creating an app where If a user select account code, a specific account name would appear. I build two column in Sharepoint list where

1 column is for account code which is a selections of account codes where user can pick from

1 column is for account name which is just a normal text box

What I want to achieve is for example when a user in the Edit Form :

If user select account code 2000, the account name will appear in the text box.

So far, I only can achieve this by using Switch statement in PowerApps but it's not feasible if I have to let future users to use coding if they want to add a new account code and account name.

How do I do it from the Sharepoint way without using Switch coding method?

4 REPLIES 4
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @insights360 ,

Just to make sure I have this right, you have an account code in list 1 and this list is displayed in a gallery.

The same code is in list 2 and you want an edit form to display this item matching the one chosen in the list one gallery.

So, calling the gallery Gallery1, the source of the edit form would be List2  and the matching field AccountCode.
The Items property of the edit form

Lookup(
   List2,
   AccountCode=Gallery1.Selected.AccountCode
)

Please click and accept as Solution if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

Those 2 columns in in the same Sharepoint list actually.

2 columns inside the sharepoint list.

1 is account code where users can pick selections

1 is account name with the account names.

The idea is whenever a user pick a specific account code from the options, the account name will automatically appeared basied on users' selections. 

WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Ok @insights360 ,

Are you asking for the account name to also appear in the drop-down?

In this case you need a Combo Box - please confirm this before I detail the process.

Hi @insights360 ,

I think I am in a different time zone to you (late night here), so I will give you the details of the post below for a combo box.

The screenshot below is from one of my lists - the user sees the registration number of a vehicle as well as its description, but only the registration number is written to the data.

To do this as below in the Combo Box 

1. Edit the fields (arrow on right)  - the pop-out will appear at left
  2. Choose "Double" for the layout
  3. The Primary text is the item you want saved (Account Code)
  4. The Secondary text is the additional item you want displayed (Account Name)
  5. The search field is the one you want users to start typing to match (probably Account Code)

ComboBoxDouble.pngVehicleCombo.png

Please click and accept as Solution if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,513)