cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
colbyturybury
Helper IV
Helper IV

Load "ThisItem.*" into a global variable for access elsewhere in the app

I have a form that I built not using the Form system in Power apps. I submit all data via the patch function(I have had some unpredictable result with the submit form when its a large amount of data.) However, the data might need to be edited that is in the database(sharepoint). When selecting that default "go to" arrow in a gallery I want that selected record to load into a global variable that can be loaded into various text boxes throughout the numerous pages in the app.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@colbyturybury 

I'd still advise that you return to using the forms as you will find this much simpler in the long run.  If you were having some issues with it, I'd work those out and discover why you were having the issues.  Forms in PowerApps are one of the most powerful controls that exist - in fact, I'd almost say that Forms is what PowerApps was made from.

Beyond that, you can set a variable in your OnSelect action of the arrow with :  Set(glbCurrentRecord, ThisItem)

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@colbyturybury 

I'd still advise that you return to using the forms as you will find this much simpler in the long run.  If you were having some issues with it, I'd work those out and discover why you were having the issues.  Forms in PowerApps are one of the most powerful controls that exist - in fact, I'd almost say that Forms is what PowerApps was made from.

Beyond that, you can set a variable in your OnSelect action of the arrow with :  Set(glbCurrentRecord, ThisItem)

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

colbyturybury
Helper IV
Helper IV

I will look into it. When I was having trouble I was under a deadline crunch so patching was the fix that saved the day. 

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@colbyturybury 

Yes, you might find that once you master forms, that patch takes 10 times longer to do.  You might reflect back then on your deadline crunch 😉

Otherwise, did the suggestion I gave you for setting the variable help?

Helpful resources

Announcements
User Group Leader Meeting January 768x460.png

Calling all User Group Leaders!

Don't miss the User Group Leader meetings on January, 24th & 25th, 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,658)