Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vladimir84
Helper V
Helper V

Loading Spinner while gallery data items are retrieved

Hi everyone,

I have 2 galleries, you click a row on the first, and the second's data is populated from SQL, filtered by the id_cal value of the first gallery.

I need to put spinner or a rectangle over the second gallery that says "Please wait", when the person clicks the 1st gallery's item, until the moment the 2nd gallery is populated with data.

It doesn't matter what it is, the tricky part is to show it until the data is completely loaded.

The reason for this is that the retrieval from SQL makes the gallery items behave like those old airport timetable flapping letters and if the retrieval takes longer than a couple of seconds, the user might think that the old data or gibberish data is the valid data. 

If this was probably answered, I'm having trouble finding it. 

14 REPLIES 14
DAVIDPOWELL
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

any resolution to this issue ?

Having the same problem...

show a wait image while a Collection is being load... - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

Dave

DAVIDPOWELL
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

any resolution to this issue yet ?

show a wait image while a Collection is being load... - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

Having the same issues when trying to load a Collection...need to display a spinner.

dave

Hi @vladimir84 , a little late to the party, but I'm wondering if you've found a solution to this problem.

I'm having a similar issue, except using SharePoint as a data source with lots of data being filtered on multiple conditions, and it makes the process very slow.

Would love to implement your:

If([3 moving dots].Visible, true, false)

solution 😛 

In Items property you cannot do any action like set etc..

james_hathaway
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Yep,

This is a pretty common request, and a MAJOR hurdle in getting User adoption of PowerApps.

It is not immediately obvious that the App is "Thinking" or loading data - only those 2 dots across the top of the screen.

I have numerous Apps where I have used the "display a loading image on the screen" solution, by setting a variable at the start and end of a function. The problem is, PowerApps' multithreading IGNORES any commands that are still processing... and moves onto the next one.

If you do something like:

Set(_Loading, true);

ClearCollect(col_MyData,MyDataSource);

Set(_Loading,false);

It will execute the final line BEFORE the Clearcollect line has actually finished - making the entire exercise pointless!

And if you have a Gallery displaying the results of "col_MyData", then your loading splash screen will show up, then go away, but still no data in your gallery!

I've had probably 4-5 clients REJECT powerapps as a solution for this very reason.

It is completely unacceptable that we have no control or visibility of when Powerapps is "doing something in the background", other than those VERY CRAP marching dots - most Users don't even see them, so they simply think that the App has crashed or that their data has gone - usually resulting in refreshing the web page, and going through the entire process again.

This is fundamental functionality - i.e. don;t let the user do anything if the app/data is still loading - otherwise, all sorts of ugly things can happen - if you happen to be working with a Form that does not quite load quick enough, you actually get Users updating "empty" fields and saving, except they weren't actually empty, just not loaded yet, and the save actually CORRUPTS the data!

- Seriously, who creates a Database interface that actively corrupts your data?

There's obviously (at least 1) "idea" related to this, but it was posted nearly 5 years ago, so I wouldn't hold your breath for Microsoft to actually sort it out any time soon.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/quot-Refreshing-quot-signal/idc-p/1572297#M3602...

Seriously Microsoft - this is a MAJOR Showstopper, and pretty basic stuff!

James.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,607)