cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate V
Advocate V

Localizing Crisis communication app

I have installed the excellent Crisis communication app made by Microsoft (great job guys!). This works fine in the English language. But I want to localize it to the Dutch language. I noticed all preparations are made in the app. You can uncomment code in App.Start and set a language. But the language datasource Translations which is used to populate colTranslations is not there.

I noticed on GitHub that there is a spreadsheet which contains translations for many languages including Dutch. I feel there is just a little step to take to make this work. can somebody (@MSFT) please give some directions? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Advocate V
Advocate V

Re: Localizing Crisis communication app

Found it myself: it is indeed simple:

////////////////////////////
/* LANGUAGE AND TIME ZONE */

// Get the locale of the logged-in user.
// Use the Language() function if you would like to automatically pull in the locale.
// Or type your locale in between the quotation marks below.
//Set(varLanguage,Coalesce("",Param("locale")));
Set(varLanguage,"nl-NL");

comment out the Set(varLanguage......

and replace it with your language as shown above 🙂

Alternative is to start the app using the parameter

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Advocate V
Advocate V

Found it myself: it is indeed simple:

/* LANGUAGE AND TIME ZONE */

// Get the locale of the logged-in user.
// Use the Language() function if you would like to automatically pull in the locale.
// Or type your locale in between the quotation marks below.
//Set(varLanguage,Coalesce("",Param("locale")));
Set(varLanguage,"nl-NL");

comment out the Set(varLanguage......

and replace it with your language as shown above 🙂

Alternative is to start the app using the parameter

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Yes, indeed it is in the Apps Onstart-Property to define the Translation-Localization-ID.

But where can i adjust these translations Text Strings. How to setup this Translation Data Source. I dont find any documentation

Highlighted
Advocate V
Advocate V

It took some for me to find out but this is how I did it @SchneidAIR:

On github there is an Excel file called 'CrisisCommunication.Translations.xlsx.' In that file there is a tabel called 'colTranslation'. (see ExcelOriginal.png)

MSFT imported this file in the PowerApp using Data Sources, Search, Excel, Import from Excel. What this does is what it says, it imports the data from the Excel file permanently into the PowerApp (it took me some time to realize this 😀) . This table name was confusing for me because of the prefix 'col'. I thought there was a collection called 'colTranslation' in the app but there isn't. So I saved the Excel file under another name and change the name of the table in the Excel file  to 'vertaling' (translation in Dutch). I also changed some of the translations in the Excel file for my language (Dutch nl-NL.)

Then in the PowerApp I deleted the Excel datasource  'colTranslations' (which gets its name from the tabel in Excel). see Original.png)

Using Data Sources, Search, Excel, Import from Excel I imported my modified Excel file, this gave me a new datasource called 'Vertaling' (see step 1 in ChangeTranslations.png).

Finally I modified the code in App.Onstart as shown in 'ChangeTranslations.png) step 2, (compare this to the original). Now there is a collection called 'colTranslations containing your modified translations. The app uses this collection without further modifications giving your own language and modified text.

Hope this helps

Bart Schaap

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,559)