cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User
Super User

Location consent box appearing on start up, but no reference to latitude or longitude in App

I have inherited an App that is showing a consent dialog when it starts, asking the user to allow permission to use Location.

This is causing a problem as the client wants to use a bot with the App and apparently they can't get that to work with the consent dialog.

I have checked the content of the App using the PowerApps Review Tool and have not managed to find any reference to location, latitude, longitude, altitude or compass (although as that tool is pretty flakey, I'm not 100% convinced it has loaded every code references). There are a couple of Flows which I don't have edit access to, but seems unlikely they would be using any location services.

Any ideas how I can find out where the App is referencing Location and remove it? Or, if it is not actually using Location, how I can get rid of it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Thanks @RandyHayes 

I have now found the reference. As there were lots of variables with names like LocationCity, LocationStreet, I was searching for 'Location.' (location plus a period) as I was expecting the reference to be along the lines of Location.Longitude. However, there was a command: ClearCollect(colMyLocation, Location) which seems pretty much redundant (why store the location in a variable instead of just referencing location itself?!?).

Removing that command removed the Location Permission pop up and colMyLocation was not actually used anywhere in the App... the joys of maintaining other people's work!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III
Super User III

@PaulD1 

I don't have a direct answer for you, but I have seen this before.  We have a couple of apps that, once upon a time, used location services.  They were removed, but the consent notification never went away and no matter what searching for it was done, there was never anything found.  I never got a chance to dig into the JSON def files to determine where it would possibly be enabled.

I know that versions (previous) of the app are all stored in the current version of the app, so I thought perhaps that had something to do with it.  I believe the prior versions (again, all within the app definition) get wiped out when you publish, but the problem still happened.  So...not really sure.

Just thought I would chime in at least.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too!
Super User
Super User

Thanks @RandyHayes 

I have now found the reference. As there were lots of variables with names like LocationCity, LocationStreet, I was searching for 'Location.' (location plus a period) as I was expecting the reference to be along the lines of Location.Longitude. However, there was a command: ClearCollect(colMyLocation, Location) which seems pretty much redundant (why store the location in a variable instead of just referencing location itself?!?).

Removing that command removed the Location Permission pop up and colMyLocation was not actually used anywhere in the App... the joys of maintaining other people's work!

View solution in original post

@PaulD1 

Ah, that is good.  Yours went away!  I never got to track down the ghost in the other apps that I mentioned. Someday I will return to that.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too!

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (63,951)