Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Lock stages BPF - model driven app

Hi All, 

I have quite some experience with the canvas apps but I'm now experimenting with the model driven apps. 

With the canvas app I would simply hide input fields and only display labels if I didn't want users to edit data. 

However, I cannot seem to achieve the same functionality with the model driven app.

We have a business process with clear stages. It starts with a submission which everyone can create. Then it goes to a board who provides a disposition. In the third stage, the board evaluates if all measures are performed. If this is correct, then they will close the record. 

Each stage has its own fields which should be filled. The next stage, and input fields, should be locked and if the record is closed, nobody (also the board) should be able to make changes. 

I included a picture of a Dynamics 365 environment which seem to have this functionality? 

Thank you all!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Lock stages BPF - model driven app

Hi @Reinier 

Without going into too much detail, have you looked at creating business rules to build your functionality?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/common-data-service/data-platform-create-business-r... 

The business rule designer provides a graphical interface that you can use to lock data entry fields. You can define conditions that correlate to the fields that a user will have entered for a specific stage.

Your overall app will therefore include a 'business process flow' that defines the 3 stages, and 'business rules' that apply in conjunction with your 'business process flow' to carry out the locking/unlocking of fields.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @Reinier 

Without going into too much detail, have you looked at creating business rules to build your functionality?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/common-data-service/data-platform-create-business-r... 

The business rule designer provides a graphical interface that you can use to lock data entry fields. You can define conditions that correlate to the fields that a user will have entered for a specific stage.

Your overall app will therefore include a 'business process flow' that defines the 3 stages, and 'business rules' that apply in conjunction with your 'business process flow' to carry out the locking/unlocking of fields.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Tim, 

Thank you, I did look at the business rules but it didn't occur to me that I could use this in a BPF entity to lock stages. 

I think this will work although there are quite many data fields to lock. 

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Glad to be of help @Reinier 

Just for reference (and for anyone else reading this), this is the screen where you associate business rules with a stage.

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,667)