cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
stapes
Level 8

Looking at Deploying my App to Production. Do I have to use Solutions? Why is Common Data Services necessary?

I am currently looking at how to deploy my App into production.

So far I have a Canvas App, numerous Flows and a load of stuff in a SQL Server Database, i.e. Tables & Stored Procedures.

Do I actually need Solutions to do this? How does it help? What do they actually do?

Why does Solutions need to create a DB in Common Data Services?

We have our own databases in SQL Server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dynamicsedge
Level 8

Re: Looking at Deploying my App to Production. Do I have to use Solutions? Why is Common Data Services necessary?

@stapes 

For export Canvas app go to Make.Powerapps.Com then go to Apps, then on your app press ellipses, then select "Export package (preview)"

In the target tenant and environment for deployment go to Make.Powerapps.Com then go to Apps, then at the top press "Import Canvas App" and select the exported Zip from previous step.

Hope it helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dynamicsedge
Level 8

Re: Looking at Deploying my App to Production. Do I have to use Solutions? Why is Common Data Services necessary?

@stapes 

For export Canvas app go to Make.Powerapps.Com then go to Apps, then on your app press ellipses, then select "Export package (preview)"

In the target tenant and environment for deployment go to Make.Powerapps.Com then go to Apps, then at the top press "Import Canvas App" and select the exported Zip from previous step.

Hope it helps.

View solution in original post

stapes
Level 8

Thanks @dynamicsedge - is that all there is to it?

Export - and presumably Import in to the new environment.

Manually setup our own SQL.

dynamicsedge
Level 8

@stapes 

If you are using SQL server database somewhere , or even Azure SQL, presumably you would want to set that up yes.

Currently, for something like the Azure SQL or SQL server database itself, we do not know of any way to automatically "export and import" an entire Azure SQL together with the PowerApps Canvas App. Therefore you are right, that wouldn't be all there is to it - just for the Canvas App - but not for the SQL Server itself. You may need to clone the SQL server yourself as separate instance, etc,. for deployment into the actual production use case.

Currently we do not know of any way to place the SQL Server database inside of the PowerApps service itself for distribution.

The only way we know of is to remodel your SQL server database data as Common Data Service data if you want to avoid the extra step of deploying SQL every time you deploy the app. 

There are potentially ways to bring in data and data model from SQL Server to Common Data Service such as by Dataflow -  it may help you with this type of transformation.

Other than this, if you must keep your SQL Server, you must manually manage them.

To make it "that easy" and potentially only need to export/import the app as your deployment scenario - you may need to use native CDS (Common Data Service) connector instead of SQL Server connector that goes to your SQL server instances.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

New Badges

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,617)