cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stapes
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Looking for documentation on how to create an EditForm

I am looking in the PowerApps documentation for detailed instructions on how to create an EditForm.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I can Insert the Form, and add a DataSource, but I cannot see how to Add fields - that control is greyed out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

I haven't checked Shane's video, but I suspect the difference is that he is tying the form to a data source and you are binding it to a collection.  Collections and data sources aren't exactly the same things, especially when it comes to forms.  You can make them work, but you'll need to do everything manually. 

• Click on the ellipse next to Add field and add a custom data card to the form.  Then you can add a control and bind the form and the control to the field you want in the collection. 
  • On the Form, set the datasource property to the collection name and the Item property to whatever selects the record from the collection for editing.  
  • On the Data Card set the Data Field property to the field you want to edit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@stapes
If this is your first time creating an Edit Form you can’t go wrong with watching Shane Young’s video on the topic.

https://youtu.be/yT4gGVunU0o

—-
Please Accept as Solution if this post answered your question so others may find it more quickly l. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a Thumbs Up.
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Did you add the data source to the App or did you add it to the Form?  Adding it to the app just makes it available.  You also need to add it to the form itself. Once you do that you should be able to edit the fields adn add new ones from the data source.

screenshot.png

Also make sure to check that you have Edit permissions to the back end data source.  Otherwise, I don't think it will let you add fields that you can't edit anyway.

I have added the DataSource to the Form, and yes, I do have edit permissions. As you can see from the form below, there are no fields! There should be fields.

there-are-no-fields.PNG

You can see from View Collections that there are fields:

Collections.PNG

Thank you @mdevaney 

Mine does not seem to work the same as his.

In the video, as soon as he adds the DataSource to the EditForm, it adds the fields to his form.

This is not happening here.

I am using exactly the same datasource in the Gallery immediately above (Showing Unit os Stock, Unit of Count & Count).

My data is collected when the screen is displayed:

ClearCollect(UnpostedCounts,UnpostedStockCountsUnits.Run(SelectedItem.SubtitleStCode.Text))

I think he is using a different version of PowerApps.

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

I haven't checked Shane's video, but I suspect the difference is that he is tying the form to a data source and you are binding it to a collection.  Collections and data sources aren't exactly the same things, especially when it comes to forms.  You can make them work, but you'll need to do everything manually. 

• Click on the ellipse next to Add field and add a custom data card to the form.  Then you can add a control and bind the form and the control to the field you want in the collection. 
  • On the Form, set the datasource property to the collection name and the Item property to whatever selects the record from the collection for editing.  
  • On the Data Card set the Data Field property to the field you want to edit.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,387)