cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Looking for ideas on a workaround for the nested gallery limit workaround

There may well not be a solution, but I'm looking for ideas if anyone has any... I am looking to improve this report view and what I really need is 3 levels of nested galleries which is not permitted.  (I have voted for the existing idea someone submitted for this).  Here is the current report which uses 2 nested galleries:

Report sample.jpg

Notice that the project name (Test Project 1) is being repeated for each milestone.  What I REALLY want is to show the project name once, followed by a list of all the milestones for that project, then the next project name (not shown here), followed by its milestones like this...

Report sample 2.jpg

To do that I need to next one more level of gallery which can't be done today.  I explored using a data table for the intermost level but it automatically gets added to the 1st gallery, not the second, no matter what I do.  

I suspect this might be the best I can do but if anyone has any bright ideas, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

LRVinNC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Looking for ideas on a workaround for the nested gallery limit workaround

@LRVinNC 

Finally got a chance to review it again...Yes, I was correct, there were a lot of "rush this together" moments in there.

The issue was, that if you added any other projects to departments, things got a little wacky. 

So, attached is a new version of the same.  The formula in the OnStart is quite different and this time it accounts for all the levels, all the projects and the grouping/association of each.  As well, it adds sorting at all levels.

I added some more test data in the sample collection.  More importantly, that I added items somewhat randomly in the data to ensure that grouping of projects and departments along with the proper milestones would occur...it does.

Take a look over it and let me know what you think or if you have any questions.

I think there could still be some refactoring that would help, but only had a little time to look it over.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @LRVinNC 

Can you share a little more about the formulas you have for your Galleries?  and, maybe a little about the structure of the source data?

I believe I have a few ideas for you, but I don't want to go down a road and give you some that are far from what you are actually experiencing. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Data for this particular report is coming from a single SP list which contains Department, Project and Milestone detail.  However, in order to group the data appropriately, I use a GroupBy and Add Columns to create the Depts temp table.  Report is "accordian-style" and loads with only the departments visible.  Clicking a department reveals the detail below it.

Report sample3.jpg

Gallery1 has Items as follows:
SortByColumns(
GroupBy(
Filter(
AddColumns(
Milestones,
"tmpDept",
DepartmentName.Value,
"tmpProject",
ProjectName.Value
),
(CurrentPlanDate < Today()) && (RYGStatus.Value <> "Completed" && RYGStatus.Value <> "Closed" && RYGStatus.Value <> "On Hold") || RYGStatus.Value = "Not Specified"
),
"tmpDept",
"Depts"
),
"tmpDept"
)

tmpDept is what is being displayed.

Gallery2 is simply ThisItem.Depts (Depts being the temp table created via the AddColumns above)

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@LRVinNC 

I'll take a look over it and give you some ideas.

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@LRVinNC 

So, this is a realy crude mockup, but I believe it might be something of interest.

In the attached sample app, I am using a ListView as the 3rd Gallery.  So, there is One outer Gallery for Departments, and Inner (2nd) Gallery for the Project and a Listbox for the Milestones.

It should really have a felxible height gallery rather than a fixed height, but I was just throwing it together. 

Key ingredients:

Gallery 1 - Items is the first groupby

GalleryInner - Items is the second group by

ListBox - Items is the Milestones (created by the Inner groupby)

I only focused on the selections of the Listbox items (Milestones) instead of the Projects or Departments.

See if this is something you can use...or if you want a better idea...lol

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Thanks for this - I will play with this and let you know if it does the trick.  I have multiple fields to display per detail line so I would have to use multiple ListBoxes but in theory that shouldn't be a problem.  This was kind of where I was trying to go by using the data table but hadn't considered a series of listboxes as a substitute when that failed.  Again thanks.  

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@RandyHayes  With a single box for the milestone, no problem.  But when I tried to add list boxes for Owner (a person) field, and Status (a choice field), I could not make the list box happy.  So next I tried seeing if I could concatenate all 4 fields, padded with spaces to separate, into a new column (PrintRow) in my AddColumns so there was only one value to send to the listbox, but I couldn't make Concatenate happy either.  Off tomorrow, but I will continue to play with it next week.  

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@LRVinNC 

I had a couple more ideas on it since I posted.  I've not had any spare time to put them into practice yet.  I'll try to squeeze something in over the next couple days.

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@LRVinNC

Okay...I almost felt like I would not be able to sleep until I thought this through...

See the attached App.

Multi-level grouped data - 1 gallery, no sub galleries.

Let me know what you think.

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

{Mouth hanging open...}   Now THAT'S creative.  Pretty much blew me away on a Monday morning. 

Help me understand how this part works.  

Collect(multiList,
{DataLevel:1,
Seq:CountRows(Filter(multiList, Department=Department && DataLevel=1))+1,
Department:Department});

Since you are just building your collection with the Collect here, how can you simutaneously create the collection filter the same collection?

Also, I note that you run 2 ForAll loops -- one covering department and project and a separate on for milestones... what's the rationale for them not being either all separate or all together?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Check this Out

Announcing

Class of 2020- Season 2

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,154)