cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NateJ

Looking for thoughts and guidance for viewing all fields at once, including a number of potentially large text fields

I'm porting an InfoPath form to PowerApps.  It's an issue resolution system that's been heavily customized to fit their business.  4 different departments enter their information throughout the workflow which can include text fields that could potentially contain 500 characters.  There's 6 of these multi-line text fields.

The InfoPath form did a good job allowing a single view of everything.  Each area's controls are hidden until their stage of the workflow, and the text boxes just expend as much as needed.  And the InfoPath style just seems to get by with the form getting as tall as needed.  For this system that worked great to give everyone a view of the entire issue without leaving the single screen.

With PowerApps I'm having trouble fitting everything - or even half - onto a tablet app where the style tends to be moving between multiple screens to avoid a crowded look.  I'm asking for feedback on the following:

1. Does anyone have any thoughts or tips on displaying multiple large text fields on a PoweraApp at once without requiring scrolling?   What techniques have you used or seen used? 
  2. In particular I struggle with the text boxes, labels, and cards that don't grow well when sharing real estate with other text fields on a data card.  One could have 10 characters while the other could have 500, or vice versa.  It seems like all I can do is start by always planning real estate for 500 characters for every field, which makes for a big form.
  3. Am I being too rigid in wanting to fit everything into the same view in a Canvas App?   Maybe I just need to accept that the PowerApp has to be large in size to do this.   Ultimately it's going to be their choice, but I do want to show them the best options possible.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have,

Nate

2 REPLIES 2
TheRobRush
Super User
Super User

I would say if you have a working infopath form that looks exactly like you are comfortable with it looking, recreating this in powerapps should not be an issue. You can customize text box sizes and have it try to adjust on its own to the amount of text in a box (i dont always love those results) or what i do and write formulas for length and width of the vontrol based on the Len() / character count in that control. You then set othef controls below its xy coordinates based on the preceeding co trol so they adjust their position as the one above them.grows or shrinks. And if you want it to be slightly diff width / font sizes per device etc set those values based on app.width app.height etc

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Like my answer? - Hit that Thumbs Up. Resolved the Issue? - Hit Accept as Solution.
This helps others find solutions to future issues!
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @NateJ ,

If you are looking for some broad guidance, consider the following

The Visible of a data card can be dynamic - I often have Variable driven "slide up/down" rows of cards with a header for the section with up/down icons

The Height of a Text box can also be dynamic - this is not an exact science unless you are using a Proportional Font such as Courier, however as an example if you wanted a Height of 30 pixels per row and the average characters per row was 40, the Height of the Text control would be

If(
   Len(Self.Text) < 40 || Len(Self.Text) = 0,
   RoundUp(
      Len(Self.Text) / 40,
   ) * 30
)

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,718)