cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RodM
Helper III
Helper III

Lookup Person columns from another SharePoint List

I have 2 SharePoint lists with the same 3 Person fields (Employee, Supervisor, Manager), and I'd like to use one of the lists as a lookup based on the "Employee" selected.

Ex: User finds and selects the Employee from the people picker, and the other people pickers will auto-populate based on the related Supervisor and Manager in the new item form created by a formula in Default.

I tried my best to follow this blog post but could not comprehend the points they were making:
Defining default values for complex SharePoint types in forms | Microsoft Power Apps

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @RodM ,

Can you please share (in Text) the code you have attempted. You would need something like (I am guessing the control output here)

LookUp(
   YourSPList,
   YourPersonField.DisplayName = YourDropDown.Selected.DisplayName
)

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @RodM ,

You cannot use a Person (or any other complex type) field in another list for a Lookup in SharePoint. I actually never use Lookup fields in SharePoint as you can do the Lookup in Power Apps. 

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Yes, I'm not trying to do the lookup in SharePoint, I'm trying to do the lookup in my PowerApp.

How am I able to lookup items on another list, by referencing a Person column within PowerApps?

Hi @RodM ,

Can you please share (in Text) the code you have attempted. You would need something like (I am guessing the control output here)

LookUp(
   YourSPList,
   YourPersonField.DisplayName = YourDropDown.Selected.DisplayName
)

@WarrenBelz ,
Thank you!, I was able to figure it out, this is what worked:

LookUp('QA Scoring List',DataCardValue129.Selected.DisplayName = Employee.DisplayName,'Assigned Supervisor')

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Users online (1,901)