cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cweaver
Advocate II
Advocate II

Lookup Value With Multiple Criteria from **Long** Excel Table

I'm brand new to Power Apps and getting my feet wet here in the Power Apps community with attempting a mix of this announcement and this thread. I've got an Excel database of >37,000 US cities and towns similar to the one in the announcement with associated state name, abbreviated state name, county, and local labor union with jurisdiction in that county. The project site indexing app I'm developing for my company allows users to add a new site by typing the site name, street address, city, state, etc. in text input boxes along with lots of other site-relevant information for my company's purposes. A feature I'm looking to add is returning the local union if the user enters a valid city/state combination. I've succeeded in creating a working, correctly indexing, collection of test tables using an app OnStart formula (many thanks to @Drrickryp & @v-xida-msft  for their posts and solutions), but as I'm limited to fetching at most 2,000 rows of data, do I need to collect 19 tables to be able to correctly lookup any of the >37,000 cities in my database, or is there an better approach?

I have tried using Power Query to break up the table as mentioned in the announcement, but as I'm also a bit new to Power Query (my company just upgraded from Office 2010 to Office 365 - lots of new things to discover and learn) I get stuck between breaking up the table into 15,000 row tables and not figuring out how to save the 3 resultant tables.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @cweaver ,

Get them out of Excel into (if you only have an E3 licence) a SharePoint list. As long as the query is Delegable (text or numeric), you will be able to do the query. We have 40,000 photos in one Library and SharePoint handles a numeric Lookup quite well.

If you can afford an E5 per User licence for SQL, it will probably work a bit better there.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @cweaver ,

Get them out of Excel into (if you only have an E3 licence) a SharePoint list. As long as the query is Delegable (text or numeric), you will be able to do the query. We have 40,000 photos in one Library and SharePoint handles a numeric Lookup quite well.

If you can afford an E5 per User licence for SQL, it will probably work a bit better there.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

That did the trick! Thank you, @WarrenBelz ! I'm still figuring out SharePoint, but I was able to successfully export the Excel table to our OneDrive SharePoint and get that connected to the app and indexing correctly. My next step is to add in VBA to the database so an admin can export it to the SharePoint whenever there's an update to the database.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call? Check out the recording here!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (40,765)