cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Lookup column threshold affecting power app

Just wanted to ask is there a way to adjust the number of lookup columns you can add to a list. Right now I'm working on adding more activity and contract columns on the list as an employee could have multiple activities & contracts in a day. Not sure on how many they would have in a day so I'm in a bit of a predicament regarding that area, so I added an extra 3 columns for both activities & contracts for each day wish amounted to several lookup columns being created. So what I did  was changed  those contract columns I just recently created from a lookup to a single line of text.

However I found out that on PowerApps, you could have the information in PowerApps be lookup Columns but submit the data back to a single line of text in SharePoint. If so how would I go about it.

Also because of the lookup situation its also affecting my app as well even though I've already deleted the lookup columns on the SharePoint list. Below is an image of the view page and saved icon. 

Screenshot (244).pngScreenshot (245).png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User II
Super User II

@SandraAkujobi 

Look ups is a huge issue in SharePoint. There is a limit on the number of look up columns. The fields which are created as normal look up columns and person or group fields are also considered as lockups.

To avoid your issue, you must limit the number of lookups to maximum limit. There is no configuration to change the number of Lookups as you are using SharePoint Online.

Here is my recommendation:

For example: I have two SharePoint lists - Sales and Products. I have a lookup column for Products in Sales SharePoint list. 

Below are the instructions to avoid lookup in Sales SharePoint list:

1.  In Sales SharePoint list, create two Single line of Text fields - ProductID, ProductName.

2.  In the Sales form, in the ProductName (txtProductName) data card:

a. Hide the text control for Product Name

b. Place a drop down control drpProducts from Insert menu.

c. Set the values coming from Products list as Items for the dropdown drpProducts.

d. In the data card, update property, set the value to drpProducts.Selected.Value

e. In the ProductID datacard update property, set the value to drpProducts.Selected.ID

f.  For drpProducts dropdown, set the default value to the stored value in the edit mode.

I hope above instructions will help you.

Regards

Krishna Rachakonda

If this reply helped you to solve the issue, please mark the post as Accepted SolutionMarking this post as Accepted Solution, will help many other users to use this post to solve same or similar issue without re-posting the issue in the group. Saves a lot of time for everyone.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User II
Super User II

@SandraAkujobi 

Look ups is a huge issue in SharePoint. There is a limit on the number of look up columns. The fields which are created as normal look up columns and person or group fields are also considered as lockups.

To avoid your issue, you must limit the number of lookups to maximum limit. There is no configuration to change the number of Lookups as you are using SharePoint Online.

Here is my recommendation:

For example: I have two SharePoint lists - Sales and Products. I have a lookup column for Products in Sales SharePoint list. 

Below are the instructions to avoid lookup in Sales SharePoint list:

1.  In Sales SharePoint list, create two Single line of Text fields - ProductID, ProductName.

2.  In the Sales form, in the ProductName (txtProductName) data card:

a. Hide the text control for Product Name

b. Place a drop down control drpProducts from Insert menu.

c. Set the values coming from Products list as Items for the dropdown drpProducts.

d. In the data card, update property, set the value to drpProducts.Selected.Value

e. In the ProductID datacard update property, set the value to drpProducts.Selected.ID

f.  For drpProducts dropdown, set the default value to the stored value in the edit mode.

I hope above instructions will help you.

Regards

Krishna Rachakonda

If this reply helped you to solve the issue, please mark the post as Accepted SolutionMarking this post as Accepted Solution, will help many other users to use this post to solve same or similar issue without re-posting the issue in the group. Saves a lot of time for everyone.

View solution in original post

Thanks so much that worked out well.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Users online (7,032)