cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BAJones
Microsoft
Microsoft

Lookup fields on Canvas App Screen

Working on a detail Screen in a Canvas App. This screen has no Gallery and no Form as we need granular control over the layout. I can pull on fields via formulas but am having issues pulling a lookup field's name field. The formula evaluates with no error - I just get no data.

PatientBrowseGallery1.Selected.'On Duty Nurse'.'Patient Care Team'

Where 'On Duty Nurse' is a Lookup field on PatientBrowseGallery1 and 'Patient Care Team' is the text primary attirbute. In the formula the 'On Duty Nurse' evaluates to a record and 'Patient Care Team' evaluates to text.

I can use the following function without any errors and do get data as expected.

PatientBrowseGallery1.Selected.Patient.'Person Name'

Where Patient is the record source for PatientBrowseGallery1 and [Person Name] is a text field.

Also, I tried PatientBrowseGallery1.Selected.Patient.'On Duty Nurse'.'Patient Care Team' but the function is not valid giving an error the 'name isn't valid'.

3 REPLIES 3
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @BAJones ,

I generally keep away from SharePoint Lookup fields and do lookups in PowerApps for many reasons, including difficulties such as you are experiencing, but that does not help you.

One thing you might look at is the name allocated to the field looked up in SharePoint. Unless you renamed it the field 'On Duty Nurse' derived from 'Patient Care Team' in the secondary data would present as 'On Duty Nurse':'Patient Care Team'  (with a colon)

If this does not work, I am sure there are others in the group who work with these.

Sorry, should have mentioned the Canvas App is connected to a custom Common Data Service (CDS) entity structure.

The ":" is flagged as an 'unexpected character' in the function.

OK - I do not use CDS so I will pass it over to colleagues more qualified here.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (1,511)