cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidPrague
Frequent Visitor

Lower Image Quality (Then send to Azure Blob Storage)

Hello all,

i have a image button (AddMediaWithImage), where user can capture a photo and then send it to Azure Blob Storage. These photos are send in full quality (sometimes more than 5 Mb, if captured on high quality camera), but i want them in lower quality (because traffic and disk usage). Is there any solution to lower photo quality (or resize height, width of the photo)?

I check the AddmediaWithImage properties, but there is not a option about media quality.

Thanks for help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@DavidPrague 

I'm assuming the platform in question is a mobile device?

If that is the case, the only option is to change this in the PowerApp player app on the device.

This would be chosen from the settings menu in the app.  There is an option there for Optimize Images for upload.  This will reduce the size of them before uploading.

Beyond that, there is no other image manipulation option.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@DavidPrague 

I'm assuming the platform in question is a mobile device?

If that is the case, the only option is to change this in the PowerApp player app on the device.

This would be chosen from the settings menu in the app.  There is an option there for Optimize Images for upload.  This will reduce the size of them before uploading.

Beyond that, there is no other image manipulation option.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

Hello Randy,

First of all, thanks for reply.

1) Yes, it is a mobile device.

2) Problem is, that on every phone i test this, i have the "Optimize Images" control ON. On my iPhone 11 Pro it's okay (size 300kb), but on some Android devices uploaded images are 2 - 5 MB, that is too much for uploading from mobile device. Even when Optimize Images control is enabled.

If there is no other option, i must find a workaround, like in other issues 😞

Thank you for help.

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@DavidPrague 

Yes, this is really more of an issue of the phone than the PowerApps.  Most phone manufacturers put their phones out with the camera set to take the highest resolution possible.  That is their way of "showcasing" to people how good they are.  However, you should be able to reduce the resolution on the camera to get lower res images for upload.  That would be in the camera settings.

I think it is Power Apps problem. When i capture a photo with iPhone, it has 6 MB. When i choose this photo within the app and upload to the Azure Blob Storage, Power Apps will reduce the size to 300kb - correct way. But on some other phones, this didn't work.

I know i can change camera settings on one phone, but i need this make automatic for all users/phones.

Thank you, i will close this topic with no solution in this moment.

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@DavidPrague 

Yeah, it should do some reduction at least.  

Android phones have also changed their image types for some reason.  This first became apparent within the past several months where users that received images from Android phones were no longer able to open them.  Turned out there were some new tags in the image format that were added by the phone and not support in their photo viewer on their computer.

I only mention that because, perhaps this also impacted the image reduction in PowerApps but has not been fixed.

Beyond that, it is actually very annoying that the default image resolution on phones is the maximum.  Can't tell you how many times I've dealt with people that had full mailboxes and, upon reviewing, found that they were receiving many photos from people in the field that were taking photos and attaching to emails.  Some of them were SO basic and were 5MB or more in size.  The viewer of the photo would have NEVER needed to zoom in to the most extreme level, so an image that was 300k would have provided everything for them.  BUT, because the default on the phone was the max...that's what they got.

Anyway...I ramble. 

If you find that none of the Android images are being reduced, I would put in a ticket with Microsoft on it, because there has to be an issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
October Events

Mark Your Calendars

So many events that are happening this month - don't miss out!

Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Users online (2,577)