cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Make a form validate against other records before allowing user to edit that field in a new record?

I'm newer to PowerApps and I am trying to figure out if my idea is possible.

Use case: Submitting requests for monthly payments.  Payments for a specific client are tracked using a unique ID that is manually entered.  Multiple requests can be submitted on the same client but we can't pay out more than once for a particular month.

Example: Request 1 includes April, May, and June payments.  Request 2, cannot include payments for April, May or June.

My idea: Create a multi-screen form. Screen 1 gathers the unique identifier.  Navigating to the next screen triggers a search of the SharePoint list checking for records with the same identifier and an approval date.  If any of these records also have a payment amount entered for April then the April amount field changes to read only.  

Alternatively, navigating to the next screen pulls in a read-only display of all of the records with the same identifier and an approval date and sums up the amounts in each month's column.  If the sum is greater than 0 the new form field for that month is locked.  

I can visualize the logic but I have no idea where to start with the formula for it.

We have 2 funding streams available for each month as well.  Stream 1 is capped and Stream 2 pays anything over that cap.  Stream 1 also has a lifetime cap per client so if there would be some way to incorporate that too that would be amazing.  

I could see that being accomplished by taking the sum of stream 1 values across all of the months and displaying how much, if anything is left for that funding stream.

Thank you for taking a look and any suggestions you might have!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Power Participant
Power Participant

Please elaborate where are you struggling with:

You can create a Form screen and submit it. OnSucess of the submit you can put Navigate() that moves you to the next screen with gallery where you can filter with FormName.LastSubmit.{UniqueID} . If you can give your requirement more clearly and if this don't require much effort, I can create the app and upload the package.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,320)