cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GenieK

Make a form validate against other records before allowing user to edit that field in a new record?

I'm newer to PowerApps and I am trying to figure out if my idea is possible.

Use case: Submitting requests for monthly payments.  Payments for a specific client are tracked using a unique ID that is manually entered.  Multiple requests can be submitted on the same client but we can't pay out more than once for a particular month.

Example: Request 1 includes April, May, and June payments.  Request 2, cannot include payments for April, May or June.

My idea: Create a multi-screen form. Screen 1 gathers the unique identifier.  Navigating to the next screen triggers a search of the SharePoint list checking for records with the same identifier and an approval date.  If any of these records also have a payment amount entered for April then the April amount field changes to read only.  

Alternatively, navigating to the next screen pulls in a read-only display of all of the records with the same identifier and an approval date and sums up the amounts in each month's column.  If the sum is greater than 0 the new form field for that month is locked.  

I can visualize the logic but I have no idea where to start with the formula for it.

We have 2 funding streams available for each month as well.  Stream 1 is capped and Stream 2 pays anything over that cap.  Stream 1 also has a lifetime cap per client so if there would be some way to incorporate that too that would be amazing.  

I could see that being accomplished by taking the sum of stream 1 values across all of the months and displaying how much, if anything is left for that funding stream.

Thank you for taking a look and any suggestions you might have!

1 REPLY 1
summitb
Power Participant
Power Participant

Please elaborate where are you struggling with:

You can create a Form screen and submit it. OnSucess of the submit you can put Navigate() that moves you to the next screen with gallery where you can filter with FormName.LastSubmit.{UniqueID} . If you can give your requirement more clearly and if this don't require much effort, I can create the app and upload the package.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (89,257)