cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
colbyc
Helper IV
Helper IV

Make value of field equal to value of field in another list without LookUp Column

Hello,

I have List A and List B. List A and List B contain a lot of similar fields, with List B copying over the values of List A via lookup fields. At this point though I am out of lookup fields allowed but need one more column to pull a value over from List A to List B. 

I am in the form of List B and have added both A and B as connections. I need the default value of a field called "Change Type" on list B to be equal to the the Change Type field of list A. There is a secondary field called 'ACR No' that can be used as the unique value to reference (Change Type will not be unique).

Current code looks like this but I'm not sure its correct at all (DataCardValue35_1 is the 'ACR No' field for List B: LookUp('Application Change Request', DataCardValue35_1 = 'Application Change Request'.'ACR No')

25 REPLIES 25

The most recent formula you posted unfortunately didn't work either

@colbyc 

No worries...it can be a little confusing at first.

A control is any object that you can use on your screen - Label, TextInput, DropDown, ComboBox, Button, Gallery, Image, Icon, etc

In EditForms, usually a DataCardValuexx control is automatically created in the DataCard for the field that is a control based on the type of field that the DataCard is for.  So in your case, it has most likely created a ComboBox.

If you select DataCardValue35_1 in your designer, on the right property pane, it will tell you what kind of control it is at the top.

RandyHayes_0-1601414913459.png

The reason why I need to know what kind of control it is, is because each control has different properties that expose their values.  As well, in the case of ComboBoxes, they are based on tables of records, so knowing more about the record structure that is in the combobox is important as well - in order to give you a good working Formula.

Did you try the formula I last posted?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

@colbyc 

Just saw your cross post...

What was the situation with the formula?  Can you let me know if there was an error or other situation?  Perhaps a screenshot?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

@RandyHayes 

Thank you for the explanation! It is a combobox as you guessed. The Items of it though is set to "Choices([@Deployments].'ACR No')". Deployments is the name of List B.

Screenshot below, but its the same error as last time

@colbyc 

Excellent!  Then if it is based on Choices, then it will be a single column table with a column name of Value...which means, your formula will now be this:

LookUp('Application Change Request', 
       'ACR No' = DataCardValue35_1.Selected.Value,
       'Change Type'
)

@RandyHayes  

Still getting an error, but a different one this time! Getting closer I think.

The error is in image below. I think its concerned about the field type of ACR No, correct? Its a single line of text field in List A and the lookup field in List B

@colbyc 

Didn't have an image in your message...can you repost? 

thats my bad! Forgot to add. See below

@colbyc 

You actually had that one before (from one of your other pictures).

So, this is unrelated to some degree to the formula we put in place.  That formula should return what you need.  

What kind of Control is DataCardValue10 ??  (again, click on it and then look in the property pane at the top)

@colbyc 

Actually, I take that last message back...

I looked over your pictures more thoroughly and determined that it is a TextInput control.

What we need to know more about is the Change Type column in your SharePoint list.

If it is a choice column (I'm guessing that it is based on the results you're seeing), then change your formula to this:

LookUp('Application Change Request', 
       'ACR No' = DataCardValue35_1.Selected.Value,
       'Change Type'.Value
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Carousel_PP_768x460_Wave2 (1).png

2022 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2022 through March 2023.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (4,805)