cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesp24
Frequent Visitor

Making a search where text contains characters rather than exact phrase

Hi

Apologies I am new to power apps and have used the wizard to create an app from a sharepoint list.

It has created the following:

jamesp24_0-1611919680370.png

I have noticed that if I start typing in the search box it will only return results in the phrase is exact. So in the example above if I start typing 'test' it shows both whereas if I was to type 'est' or '1' nothing is shown. Is it possible to amend so its if the text is contained rather than an exact phrase? If so can you please give me an idiots guide as to where I go to change this?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gabibalaban
Super User
Super User

Hi @jamesp24 ,

Actually,  this is a sharepoint conector limitations. Its supports searching using StartWith() function, for Search() function the app will give you a warning called delegation warning (that means that the results might not be quite accurate for large data - over 500 items).  

So,  if your list does not have more that 500 items, then:

1.Select the Gallery

2. Go to Items property 

3. Change the formula to something similar to:

SortByColumns(Search([@LookUpTestList],TextSearchBox1.Text,"Title"), "Title", If(SortDescending1, Descending, Ascending))

, where [@LookUpTestList] is your sharepoint list, "Title" is your searchable column

gabibalaban_0-1611921430936.png

Hope it helps !

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
eka24
Super User
Super User

You have to use the Search Function. Watch this tutoriai from Shane Young:

https://youtu.be/FaTnOOc34os?t=4

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

gabibalaban
Super User
Super User

Hi @jamesp24 ,

Actually,  this is a sharepoint conector limitations. Its supports searching using StartWith() function, for Search() function the app will give you a warning called delegation warning (that means that the results might not be quite accurate for large data - over 500 items).  

So,  if your list does not have more that 500 items, then:

1.Select the Gallery

2. Go to Items property 

3. Change the formula to something similar to:

SortByColumns(Search([@LookUpTestList],TextSearchBox1.Text,"Title"), "Title", If(SortDescending1, Descending, Ascending))

, where [@LookUpTestList] is your sharepoint list, "Title" is your searchable column

gabibalaban_0-1611921430936.png

Hope it helps !

View solution in original post

Thank you works perfectly

Helpful resources

Announcements
User Group Leader Meeting January 768x460.png

Calling all User Group Leaders!

Don't miss the User Group Leader meetings on January, 24th & 25th, 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,294)