cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Making an Excel File with Flow

Do you know to make a flow that this triggered by PowerApps and makes an excel with the data and then drops the “excel file” into a sharepoint document? The Powerapps tigger sends a collection.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Making an Excel File with Flow

Hi @Anonymous ,

Do you want to pass a JSON data from your app to your flow, and then within your flow, add these passed data into your Excel file?

Do you also want to copy the Excel file from your Cloud Storage (e.g. OneDrive) into your SP Library?

I have made a test on my side, and please take a try with the following workaround:

Flow's configuration as below:7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

Within the "Add row into a Table" action of above flow, set the TaskName field to following formula:

item()?['TaskName']    /* <-- TaskName represents the column name in your passed collection */

set the Executor field to following:

item()?['Executor']    /* <-- Executor represents the column name in your passed collection */

App's configuration as below:10.JPG

Set the OnSelect property of the "Pass JSON Value" button to following:

'20190812_case3'.Run(JSON(CityPopulations, JSONFormat.IgnoreUnsupportedTypes))

The CityPopulations collection as below:11.JPG

Please take a try with above solution, check if the issue is solved.

More details about firing a flow from an app, please check the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wl9AtxWdkg

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Anonymous ,

For your first question, if you want to make the Excel file only display the columns that has data send from the PowerApps, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

For your second question, if you want to clear out the data within your Excel table before replacing data with new data, I think the "Delete a row" action and "List rows present in a table" action of Excel Online (OneDrive) connector could achieve your needs.

Within your flow, you should add the following actions to delete existing rows from your Excel table before inserting rows into your Excel table:1.JPG

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

6 REPLIES 6
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

The PowerApps trigger can send the collection to MS Flow using the new JSON(collection, IgnoreUnsupportedTypes)

then in Flow read the incoming attribute and parse it in Flow uisng json function json(varFromPowerApps)

Next step run a loop for all items obtained and use the excel connector to add rows to excel file

Some video showing Flow and Excel integration (you will have to modify the logic based on your requirement)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDcdomNwuHg&t=159s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibqFGgkZ1Cs&t=398s

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Anonymous ,

Do you want to pass a JSON data from your app to your flow, and then within your flow, add these passed data into your Excel file?

Do you also want to copy the Excel file from your Cloud Storage (e.g. OneDrive) into your SP Library?

I have made a test on my side, and please take a try with the following workaround:

Flow's configuration as below:7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

Within the "Add row into a Table" action of above flow, set the TaskName field to following formula:

item()?['TaskName']    /* <-- TaskName represents the column name in your passed collection */

set the Executor field to following:

item()?['Executor']    /* <-- Executor represents the column name in your passed collection */

App's configuration as below:10.JPG

Set the OnSelect property of the "Pass JSON Value" button to following:

'20190812_case3'.Run(JSON(CityPopulations, JSONFormat.IgnoreUnsupportedTypes))

The CityPopulations collection as below:11.JPG

More details about firing a flow from an app, please check the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wl9AtxWdkg

Best regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-xida-msft,

Thank you for replying. I can not see the contents of the file that I made in my sharepoint. I wanted the file in the sharepoint to be a workbook like Temple.xlsx (See the photo below). See there a way to make a excel workbook that only displays the columns that has data send from the PowerApps? Is there any way to clear out the data already in an excel workbook before replacing the data with new data?

Thank You,

AskingQuestions 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-xida-msft,

Sorry about that, I can see the file now. I need to add xlsx. Is there a way to make a excel workbook that only displays the columns that has data send from the PowerApps? Is there any way to clear out the data already in an excel workbook before replacing the data with new data?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Anonymous ,

For your first question, if you want to make the Excel file only display the columns that has data send from the PowerApps, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

For your second question, if you want to clear out the data within your Excel table before replacing data with new data, I think the "Delete a row" action and "List rows present in a table" action of Excel Online (OneDrive) connector could achieve your needs.

Within your flow, you should add the following actions to delete existing rows from your Excel table before inserting rows into your Excel table:1.JPG

Best regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you guys for replying back and helping me out. It is unfortunate that I could hide or delete the empty columns.

Thank you,

Asking Questions

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,485)