cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rpoidoma1010

Making one dropdown visible depending on the selection of another dropdown

I'm trying to make a dropdown field only appear after a particular value is selected in the first dropdown.  The fields are sourced form a SharePoint list.

I tried the below formula in the first screenshot using the visible property, but it does not appear that the selected function is supported in this context.  Please let me know what I'm doing wrong.  The only available property for the field appears to be value which I don't think will work.

Powerapps issue.png

powerapps photo 2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I don't know if it is helpfull now because the post is from long back.

You have to select the dropdown control instead of the card. The dropdown control resides inside the card that had been selected.

By default the dropdown control might be called DataCardValue5, DataCardValue6 or something like that. The selected.Value property will work on that.

Hope it helps someone else 🙂

Regards,

Shankhadeep 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Steelman70
Power Participant
Power Participant

At first sight it seems that you are referencing the value of the field (SP column) and not the value selected in the first dropdown.

This value may be a number and not a text.

What is the error that is shown when you float your mouse over the red underlining in the first screenshot?

What is the name of the first dropdown control? (Select the control and look at the Home tab)

hintbw-abc
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

I would also add that I found the visible property reacted much better when it had a context variable instead of a formula to determine it's visibility. Then use the updatecontext function to change the value of that context variable in the on change property when that particular value is selected.

I found when I was doing something similar that functions in the visible property weren't reliable for me.

Hi,

I have attached the screenshot of the field.  The field in the sharepoint list is a "choice", which it seems to be interpretted by PowerApps as "complex".  Could that be the issue?  Powerapps doesn't support more than text fields from a sharepoint list at this point?

I can't get Powerapps to show any kind of error message.  When I click the triangle, it just highlights a portion of the formula as seen in the screenshot I have now attached.

I can get the error to disappear if I change the formula to only use value (If(External_x0020_or_x0020_Internal.Value="External",true,false)) , but when I pick a value, it doesn't make the field appear as expected.

Powerapps1.pngPowerapps2.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I don't know if it is helpfull now because the post is from long back.

You have to select the dropdown control instead of the card. The dropdown control resides inside the card that had been selected.

By default the dropdown control might be called DataCardValue5, DataCardValue6 or something like that. The selected.Value property will work on that.

Hope it helps someone else 🙂

Regards,

Shankhadeep 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your helpful reply @Anonymous!

@Anonymous

ThePercio
Frequent Visitor

In the "visible" box of the card you want to hide/view use
If(Text(DataCardValue.Selected.Value) = "*Your Choice*",true,false)
where DataCardValue is the drop down you wish to use.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,641)