cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobinS

Managed metadata dropdown - display and filter more than first 20 items

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a PowerApp for one of my customers and have stumbled upon a weird problem. The PowerApp is connected to a SharePoint list which has a couple of Managed Metadata columns. When adding these fields to the PowerApp form, the possible values are automatically added through the following function for the "Items" property:

Choices([LISTNAME].COLUMNNAME)

However, when testing my form through the "Preview" function or even the "Published" form in SharePoint, the dropdown only contains the first 20 items from my term set. This term set contains more than these 20 items, and I can only reveal the others when typing in the search box (searching for them).

E.g. my dropdown initially contains the following values (visible for end user):

It does not display value "1.21", even though it exists in the term set.

After typing "1.2" in the dropdown search box, the following values are visible:

So the typing (searching) in the dropdown does work correctly. However, the problem lies with the initial (lack of) display of all possible values.

Is there an option for me to increase this amount of values that is displayed in the dropdown to e.g. 500 instead of only 20?

For another request of my customer, I have to set the default values for these Managed Metadata fields, depending on the value of another field on the form. This works just fine for the first 20 values of the term set, however filtering for e.g. the 25th value of the term set doesn't seem to work.

This next snippet works fine because the element I'm filtering on is part of the first 20 values in the term set:

Filter(
   Choices([LISTNAME].COLUMNNAME),
   Label = "1.5"
)

This next snippet doesn't work because the element I'm filtering on is not part of the first 20 values in the term set:

Filter(
   Choices([LISTNAME].COLUMNNAME),
   Label = "1.25"
)

Is there an option for me to filter through ALL possible values of the term set, instead of just the first 20 possible values?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Robin

13 REPLIES 13
Bazz
Regular Visitor

Thank you, Microsoft, great hidden feature 🙄

Still I found a workaround - quite ugly though, but for me it works fine.

Create a SP-List with a single colum for your Metadata values. Create one entry for each term. In PowerApps build your choices table in die App OnStart function, i.e.: ClearCollect(my_choices, <ListName>.<ColName>)

Nice AddOn: Search-functionality for connected ComboBox behaves as CONTAINS, not as STARTSWITH.

I know it's some effort to create (and rarely update) the list according to the TermStore entries, but at least you can use the exact Labels...

CW
Advocate V
Advocate V

Tx Bazz. At least some entity is "DOING SOMETHING".

Robin,  

Thanks for posting that example. I apologize for dredging up an older thread, but you seem to have the closest answer to what I'm trying to do.  Trying to understand the difference between the "FirstN" lines and the "plain" Choices lines.  
When I'm reading through it I would think this return the 'child' tags on a parent tag (3.2.1) for example. From your image I'm am assuming there might have been an 3.2.1.1 and 3.2.1.2 that this Collect function would have pulled in.

In my testing, I'm only getting exact matches to my search string. And the MS documents on Choices doesn't mention the Search_Text option.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-choices

Thanks for your feedback.

WConsulting
Regular Visitor

I have written a blog post to 'fix' this limitation. This does not involve any Power Apps or Power Automate premium features.

https://wardwilmsen.com/2021/08/09/display-more-than-20-items-for-managed-metadata-fields-in-power-a...

This does also remove the limitation of the limited 'StartsWith' search functionality inside your term set.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Users online (3,377)