cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mariosklou

Match excell tables in a dropdown

Hello

I want to create an App. This App will have a drop down list. The functionality of drop down list will be to check user's name from userOffice365 connector and gets the last name, then will shows the records of column suppliers according to user's last name. For example let's say that  company has user John Doe and on power apps we have connect a table from excel with suppliers that concern John Doe. The table name is doe and the column name of the table is Suppliers. At the app we have several tables with last names of other users with the same structure. When the user opens the app we want to display the list for his suppliers only. So I have create a drop down list and I have write the following command:

Match(User().FullName, "\s(.*)", Contains)

But didn't worked, I got doe on the drop down list and nothing else. Thoughtfully  to return a table in order to show the list so I change my code line to the following

Table(Match(User().FullName, "\s(.*)", Contains))

This didn't worked as well, now my drop down list is empty. At the function information I can see that there is a table somewhere (Check attached powerapps1) but I can't figure out the correct syntax.

So I write

Table(Match(User().FullName, "\s(.*)", Contains)).Submatches 

but I get the attached powerapps2 warning and empty drop down list

Can anyone help ?

Thank you

1 REPLY 1
Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@mariosklou 

If possible use the email address of the user in a filter, There are no spaces in it and it will be unique.  Collect it as a variable in the OnStart of the app as Set(useremail, User().email) you can then use useremail to filter your Galleries and datatables to only show items created by the user.  Using the last name is problematic because of duplicates and the way names are entered,  For Example, Smith, John B., John B. Smith, John Smith, John Smith DDS, etc.).  

Also, it would be better to use SharePoint rather than Excel for your data sources as the creator of items in the list is automatically collected as metadata and can be used later to filter your galleries. 

For more information as to why Excel is a terrible data source for PowerApps, see Shane Young's video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtmZM3tm2Zs 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (2,814)