cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Regular Visitor

Max number of columns in Excel

Dear All, Does anyone know what is the maximum number of columns in excel that can be retrieved? 

8 REPLIES 8
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

I don't believe there is a specific limit on the number of columns that can be in the table.  But there is a hard limit on the overall size of the Excel file.  The file can't be larger than 2MB. That will limit how many columns you can have.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Regular Visitor

Hello Pstork1, thanks for your response. the issue i am having is that the excel file has exceed 2000 rows and i am not able to retrieve the data after the column number 2000. Do you have any solution for that? how to extend the number of rows accepted?

Super User III
Super User III

Hi @skalkhathran 

There is no way to extend the number of rows that is accessible beyond 2000.

As @Pstork1  says, there is a 2MB limit to the size of your Excel file. If you want to extend the amount of data that you can store in a spreadsheet by extending the number of columns, you'll likely hit the 2MB soon and you'll end up in the same situation

The only workable solution is to work out a way in which you can partition your data, and to split it across multiple Excel files. You would then create a separate connection for each Excel file.

Alternatively, if you're working with read-only Excel data that doesn't change, you can import it as static data and there isn't any limit to the amount of rows that you can import this way.

You asked about columns, not Rows.  I don't believe there is a limit to 2,000 columns, but as @timl said there is no way to increase beyond the 2,000 rows other than retrieve the content through import.  But then you can't save changes back.

Regular Visitor

Thank you all. I am trying now to take the extra rows and convert them into colums. so i solve the issue of the extra rows.

Rows and Columns really aren't interchangeable.  Rows represent records with specific fields (columns).  Switching them around won't really give you usable data.

Super User III
Super User III

@skalkhathran 

Is the any reason why you can't use a SharePoint list?

If you're spending time transposing rows to columns, I would suggest that a more effective use of your time would be to migrate your data to SharePoint, which would then provide a much more future proof platform on which to work on.

Regular Visitor

thank you for your input. i am limited only to excel. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call- January

Mark your calendars and join us for the next Power Apps Community Call on January 20th, 8a PST

PP Bootcamp Carousel

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

Dive into the Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, virtually delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

secondImage

Power Platform Community Conference On Demand

Watch Nick Doelman's session from the 2020 Power Platform Community Conference on demand!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,681)