cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Maximum number of items reached

I have a lookup column on my canvas app form, trying to pull around 750 items from another SPO list,

At the bottom of dropdown2 I see 'Maximum number of items reached'.
I assumed by changing the settings of 'Data row limit for non-delegable queries' to 2000 would resolve my issue but I still do not see all the items, and they are around 750.

I also get a yellow warning (Delegation warning), which I'd like to avoid if possible, the data is not static and will change, and i'm pulling more than 1 column by using the Dropdown2 and then referencing it to pull other item data into other fields, so not sure if this is what the issue is?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Maximum number of items reached

Ahhhh, yeah ok, there's your culprit! I've actually had similar before - when converting a multi-line to single-line it still treats it as a multi-line which is not delegable to search. I think I ended up solving it by creating a new single-line field and then using a flow to replicate all the values from the one column to the other (and make sure any notification flows arent running or you'll get a notice for each modified row) then was able to sort by the new column

and yeah if you're confident it will never reach over 2k then you can definitely use a non-delegable query 😸

Cheers,

Sancho

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

View solution in original post

42 REPLIES 42
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Hi,

I think you've reached the maximum number of items that can be displayed in a dropdown list.

Have you considered placing them in a gallery and then using the galleryName.Selected to filter as you were going to do with the dropdown?

Could you paste the formula here with the delegation issue (and a screenshot preferably to show where the error is), I may be able to help with this if I can have some more information about what you're trying to do with it

Thanks,

Sancho

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

HI @iAm_ManCat 

Yes, that is what it appears likely, that it has reached max no. of items, but I find it strange as the items in List2 are around 750, so the setting i have increased to 2000 isn't having any sort of impact.

I'm not sure about the gallery suggestion you have suggested... as the data is not static... would that option work?

This is my fx on the dropdown:

SortByColumns('List 2'.'Title (Document_x0020_Title)',"Document_x0020_Title")

I dont get a delegation warning on the dropdown, but i do on other fields i am pulling other column data of the same item:

LookUp('List 2','Title (Document_x0020_Title)'= Dropdown2.SelectedText.Value,'Column Name')

Attached is a screen shot of the delegation error

Thanks

Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hi @iAm_ManCat or anyone else, 

Any ideas how i overcome this please

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @Lefty ,

I agree with @iAm_ManCat here - there are things in PowerApps you simply have to accept and work around.

You can actually make a gallery (one column with a search box above) perform in much the same way as a ComboBox and if based on a collection (you only have 750 records) all the filters including In will work. The output Gallery.Selected is just as easy to pass on.

Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hi @WarrenBelz @iAm_ManCat 

I haven't tried this option, how exactly does it work please... do I create a gallery on another screen and ref it in the field i want to pull the data into it?

Would I not get the max items reached issue if i link the gallery to List2 column?  

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @Lefty ,

Get @iAm_ManCat 's opinion on this as well.

You can do some really tricky things with galleries to make them look like something completely different.

For instance, they can be formed with a single field from a collection and made visible on a pop-up when required. A search box can use any filter if a collection is the Items and the Gallery.Selected.FieldName can be defaulted back to your data field. You can use the gallery OnSelect property to trigger this and hide the gallery.

Your requirement is a bit unusual, but there is a workaround for most challenging things in PowerApps.

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Hey @Lefty,

Sorry for the delay, I've not been on the forums the last few days.

I've created a proof of concept App here for you to look at - the idea being that you have two galleries, one gallery is your 'dropdown' which points to gallery2.selected. Gallery 2 is only visible when you click on the gallery1 label or Arrow Icon, then whenever you select an item from gallery2 it makes it invisible again - was able to show 1000 items this way (could be more, just wanted to test past 750).

I think the limit you were experiencing before was the specific control (dropdown) not being able to show more than 750 items, rather than the data source,

Have a look at the App, copy/paste the grouped items into your App and change the data source for gallery2 and what field the label points to,

Let me know how you get on with that,

Cheers,

Sancho

@iAm_ManCat

Thanks!
Sancho Harker, MVP

Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hi @iAm_ManCat 

Thank you for that, this is quiet a different way of setting it up, Thanks

I'm unsure though how to get my other fields, fields 2-4 to pick up the data from what is selected, i.e. when I was using the dropdown approach, I had set Field2 default property to:

LookUp('List 2','Title (Document_x0020_Title)'= Dropdown2_1.SelectedText.Value,Version)

I've tried a few things to get this changed to the gallery option you have provided but cant get it to work.

Also as I want to use what is chosen using your suggestion, to be written to SPO when saved, I'm trying to figure out which label i need to change and how I map it back to the SPO column?

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @Lefty ,

@iAm_ManCat very neat app has brought out a challenge for me. I have a possible need for this in one of my apps, so I did something not as elegant, but workable attached.

You should get some value out of both - note you will have to attach your data source to mine and change the references where you get errors (my source was a 5000 item list).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,745)