Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Merging collection without primary key

Hi all,

I am looking for something really simple (which, lo and behold, is not that simple at all in Powerapps 😫).
I have two collection (more actually, but if I solve this problem then I am good).

collection1    collection2

Result         Result
   abc             jkl
   def             mno
   ghi             pqr

Two collections, each with one column named Result. What I need is to simply merge the two collections (that is, the two columns) into a new collection that contains the columns from the respective collections.

I've tried a lot of things but I either end up with a column that contains tables in each field or,  using the solution in this thread, I end up with a collection with 9 duplicated records.

I can't use ClearCollect with AddColumns and LookUp since I don't have a primary key by which to join the records (as described in this thread). 

Isn't there a simple solution to such a simple problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Merging collection without primary key

Hi @NSimpraga ,

Got it. Please try this.

If(CountRows(Col1)>=CountRows(Col2),
ClearCollect(Col3,AddColumns(RenameColumns(Col1,"Result","ResultCollection1"),"ResultCollection2",""));
ClearCollect(G,[0]);ForAll(Col2,Collect(G,{Value:Last(G).Value+1});Patch(Col3,Last(FirstN(Col3,Last(G).Value)),{ResultCollection2:Result})),
ClearCollect(Col4,AddColumns(RenameColumns(Col2,"Result","ResultCollection2"),"ResultCollection1",""));
ClearCollect(G,[0]);ForAll(Col1,Collect(G,{Value:Last(G).Value+1});Patch(Col4,Last(FirstN(Col4,Last(G).Value)),{ResultCollection1:Result}))
)

Hope this helps.

Sik

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @NSimpraga ,

it is very very straight forward even in Power Apps, Try the below:

ClearCollect(Col3, Col1,Col2);
Now your 3rd collection is the merge of 2 colletions

I hope this resolved your issue if you see any challenge/need further help please let me know I am always happy to do it for my community.

Regards,
Krishna
If this post helps you give a 👍 and if it solved your issue consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more.

I hope this resolved your issue if you see any challenge/need further help please let me know I am always happy to do it for my community.

Proud to be a Super User!

Regards,
KrishnaV
If this post helps you give a 👍 and if it solved your issue consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members / new members of the community.
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Okay, I probably explained it incorrectly. What I need is to merge the two collections into a single collection which has 2 columns, each of which were in collection1 and collection2.

So if we take the data set above the new collection will look like this:

Collection3
ResultCollection1       ResultCollection2
         abc                             jkl
         def                             mno
         ghi                             pqr

The solution you typed above is for simply merging the data into a single column.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

*bump* 
Feels like I am stuck in a nightmare, pls send help 

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NSimpraga ,

Please try with this:

ClearCollect(Col3,Table({ResultCollection1:First(Col1).Result,ResultCollection2:First(Col2).Result}))

Hope this helps.

Sik

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks for the answer!
This creates a new collection with only the first records from each column being merged. Like this:
                            Col3
ResultCollection1     ResultCollection2
            abc                      jkl

It is a good start but sadly not enough.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NSimpraga ,

Got it. Please try this.

If(CountRows(Col1)>=CountRows(Col2),
ClearCollect(Col3,AddColumns(RenameColumns(Col1,"Result","ResultCollection1"),"ResultCollection2",""));
ClearCollect(G,[0]);ForAll(Col2,Collect(G,{Value:Last(G).Value+1});Patch(Col3,Last(FirstN(Col3,Last(G).Value)),{ResultCollection2:Result})),
ClearCollect(Col4,AddColumns(RenameColumns(Col2,"Result","ResultCollection2"),"ResultCollection1",""));
ClearCollect(G,[0]);ForAll(Col1,Collect(G,{Value:Last(G).Value+1});Patch(Col4,Last(FirstN(Col4,Last(G).Value)),{ResultCollection1:Result}))
)

Hope this helps.

Sik

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Thank you for the answer!

Feel stupid a bit now, but in the meantime I found a bit more elegant solution in this thread.
Again, thank you for your effort, if I find time to test it, I will try out your solution too!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,643)