cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Steelman70
Level 10

Microsoft Common Data Model (CDM) is a disappointment on first look

I have been enthusiatic about PowerApps so far, and the Microsoft team has been adding some great functionality.  I was really looking forward to the Common Data Model (CDM), as finally we power users could move on from Access Web Apps (AWA) as a datasource.  This is because AWAs are clearly not being developed any more, and SharePoint lists are far from ideal as a data source for any serious application.

However, from a first look it seems like CDM is just recycled SharePoint lists!  A Title field is required, what nonesense!

Will querying (in the SQL-like sense) ever be available and efficient so that some processing can be properly delegated to the server?

I think I will stick to AWA (since it is proper Azure), so Microsoft team just please give PowerApps the possibility of using Azure queries as a data source.  We have been asking this for a while.

I am happy to hear other opinions and be corrected if anyone else has a different point of view or more insight than I have.

PS It doesn't harm, but the plethora of standard entities in CDM is just a waste of space. You take more time finding the correct entity and inevitably customising it than creating an entity from scratch.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mr-dang
Level 10

Re: Microsoft Common Data Model (CDM) is a disappointment on first look

I'm an Excel user, and as of right now the advantages of CDM are few in this initial release. It is better to stick to Excel unless these are appealing:

• Validation: You can validate the kind of entry: value, text, boolean, etc. Excel is text-only when Patching.
  • Sharing: I assume the "common" in "common data model" takes care of the sharing in your network for you
  • Publishing: The PowerApps Excel add-in is pretty fast at syncing. It is faster than OneDrive at detecting and syncing changes, which in turn can be refreshed in app.
  • It's free. It is SharePoint for users who do not already have SharePoint on an E3 or E5 service.

Things that CDM needs in order to be an alternative to Excel hosted on OneDrive/Dropbox:

• Delegation of aggregate functions so that you can perform calculations on more than 500 records--this is my number one priority in all of PowerApps features. No PowerApps are capable of being taken to production without this. 
  • Stay logged in. The Excel Add-in logs out after a while, like all Microsoft services. There needs to be a better security protocol than to log users off to keep them safe. I've always been bothered by this.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
mr-dang
Level 10

Re: Microsoft Common Data Model (CDM) is a disappointment on first look

I'm an Excel user, and as of right now the advantages of CDM are few in this initial release. It is better to stick to Excel unless these are appealing:

• Validation: You can validate the kind of entry: value, text, boolean, etc. Excel is text-only when Patching.
  • Sharing: I assume the "common" in "common data model" takes care of the sharing in your network for you
  • Publishing: The PowerApps Excel add-in is pretty fast at syncing. It is faster than OneDrive at detecting and syncing changes, which in turn can be refreshed in app.
  • It's free. It is SharePoint for users who do not already have SharePoint on an E3 or E5 service.

Things that CDM needs in order to be an alternative to Excel hosted on OneDrive/Dropbox:

• Delegation of aggregate functions so that you can perform calculations on more than 500 records--this is my number one priority in all of PowerApps features. No PowerApps are capable of being taken to production without this. 
  • Stay logged in. The Excel Add-in logs out after a while, like all Microsoft services. There needs to be a better security protocol than to log users off to keep them safe. I've always been bothered by this.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,196)