cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PowerApper01
Helper I
Helper I

Microsoft Lists impact on PowerApps

Do we know what the impact is of the new "Microsoft Lists" experience on PowerApps (versus current SharePoint Lists)?

I'm watching some tutorial videos and inside the PowerApp, the connector to a Microsoft List is the same old SharePoint connector we use today. Wondering if Microsoft Lists brings any changes/benefits at all to PowerApps or we should just expect the experience to be identical to today.

9 REPLIES 9
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

That's because Microsoft Lists is more of a UI change than a change to the backend.  The content is still stored in a custom list.  Lists is just an easier way to create, and display a list.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

@Pstork1 Microsoft has suggested that there are back-end changes so I'm trying to understand if there is any impact on PowerApps, perhaps performance, delegation, or additional capability.

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Where did you see that Lists made changes to the back end?  Everything I've seen is that Lists is a layer on top of a SharePoint list.  Check this article:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-sharepoint-blog/microsoft-lists-evolving-the-value-...

"Millions of SharePoint users have benefitted from using lists over the years. Microsoft Lists builds on this trusted information platform – bringing new user experiences and capabilities to the foundational innovation of SharePoint lists."

Here's a handful of statements that makes it sound like something is different than in the back-end SharePoint, but perhaps it's all marketing nonsense. Sounds like your interpretation is Lists is 100% UI and there is zero impact on functionality, capability, or performance in PowerApps

Fully integrated with Microsoft 365, Lists works seamlessly with other apps, such as Excel, SharePoint, Power Apps (custom forms), Power Automate (customer flows) and Power BI, enabling our customers to build powerful information tracking solutions at a fraction of the time and effort it typically takes to create custom apps from scratch
Your investments to date in SharePoint lists carry forward. We are building off the 20+ years of innovation within SharePoint and taking steps to make them even more accessible within other apps. The tens of millions of people using lists today will see new list capabilities
And for developers, the power and value of the Lists API extends custom solutions to connect the list data as a source via Microsoft Graph.

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

None of those statements require a change to the backend.  All are about ways that Microsoft Lists builds on top of the existing custom list infrastructure in SharePoint.  I believe that you are reading something into those statements that isn't there.

Fair enough! I'll take your word for it -- zero new capability or improvements in PowerApps related to Lists

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Until they build a new connector that uses the New "Lists" API I don't see any changes.

Ah ok so there's a new API that is coming with Lists? Have any details to share?

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Nothing specific that I know of.  MS may add some new things to the REST api for lists that are specific to the new UI and features.  I was really just quoting the last comment you quoted.

"And for developers, the power and value of the Lists API extends custom solutions to connect the list data as a source via Microsoft Graph."

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,324)