cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keithpresley365

Migrating from MS Access to Power BI and Power Apps

Hi,

Looking to migrate several MS Access applications (containing VBA code) all using the same database on a SQL server via linked tables.

The applications are used for Goods In and job creation for them, process flow/control and auditing during the jobs life cycle, as well as dispatch, stock control, along with pricing and invoicing.  

These application also have a number of designed reports, including some that are invoices for customers.

Was looking to migrate the reports to Power BI and the forms with their VBA functionality to Power Apps, connecting to the existing SQL Server we host on site. 

Of course, it would be great, if there was a way of exporting from Access and importing to Power BI, all the reports and their design, without having to recreate them from scratch in Power BI

Any advice, suggestions or pointers would be appreciate, as well as training literature and video, for a SQL/VB.net developer new to Power BI and Power Apps.

Regards,

Keith.

2 REPLIES 2
Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@keithpresley365 

There is a procedure for migrating MS Access to Dataverse and it will migrate the tables and the relationships. However, It does not migrate the VBA code or the forms and reports.  The procedure is described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/office/get-started-migrate-access-data-to-dataverse-013c8bab-773... . I have done it several times and it works but can take quite a while if you have large tables.  The tables in Access remain and there is an option to continue synchronization so the forms and reports in Access can still be obtained.  

keithpresley365

Hi @Drrickryp 

Thanks for the reply,

As mentioned, the applications are already table linked to our own hosted SQL server, so no need to migrate to Dataverse at the moment, one potential cluster duck at a time! 😂 

I would of be surprised it there was a migration process for MS Access/VBA applications to Power Apps,
So I am prepared to develop the new Power Apps against our current SQL server to start with, replacing aspect of the applications and their functionality, in parallel with the uses of the current MS Access applications, until I'm happy to switch over fully to Power Apps.

While I'll pull out as much of the business logic, functionality and hard coded data and relocate it to database tables, Store Procedures/Functions and views, so the new Power Apps really only need to act has user interfaces (canvas?), the reports design is the area I'm not great with and would love some form of migration process to Power BI, so I don't have to recreate from scratch, the reports with all their header, body and footer formatting and presentation. 

Thanks again for the reply. 👍

Regards,

Keith.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,230)