cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sb_teal
Frequent Visitor

Mismatch in data types when Returning data to PowerApp from cloud flow

I'm having problems with a mismatch in data types between the output of the "Respond to a PowerApp or Flow" action and the expected data type in PowerApps.  Also, the variable name doesn't respect the camel case I give it in the flow.

I'm using the PowerApps connector, "Respond to a PowerApp or Flow" action.  The output type selected in the action is not respected when passing the data back to PowerApp, it seems that no matter what data type I select for the output, it is passed as a string.  

For example, when I select "Number" as the output type, the json is formatted as string and I see the mismatch error in Monitor:  you can see in the output that by enclosing the value in quotes, it is a string:

MonitorParsingError.pngnumberAsString.png

The same situation arises with Yes/No datatype:

booleanAsString.png

How can I ensure I have the same data type between the output from the Flow and the expected data type in PowerApps - why isn't the data type being respected?

I have success only when I use the "Text" output type in the "Respond to a PowerApp or Flow" action.  I'd like to be able to use the other output types, otherwise what is the point of having different output types if they are not actually respected in the JSON?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

I haven't seen the issue with camel case, but the other issues are known bugs when using the Respond to Power Apps action.  Yu can either pass everything as string and convert it in Power Apps or use the HTTP response action where you can specify the actual JSON schema for the returned values.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

I haven't seen the issue with camel case, but the other issues are known bugs when using the Respond to Power Apps action.  Yu can either pass everything as string and convert it in Power Apps or use the HTTP response action where you can specify the actual JSON schema for the returned values.

View solution in original post

sb_teal
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for letting me know @Pstork1 .  I couldn't find details of known issues - do you have a URL where this issue is documented?  I couldn't find the connector reference docs either - the other Power Apps connectors are listed but not the "Power Apps (v2)" one I use.

sb_teal_0-1627768888284.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/common-issues-and-resolutions 

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

This is the documentation, such as it is. 

Return data to PowerApps from a flow - Release Notes | Microsoft Docs

The fact that Number and Yes/No data types don't work correctly is a known issue, but its not documented anywhere that I'm aware of.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,188)